Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Marriage Certificates and name changes on passport.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, weird one here, I changed my name when I got married to Laura, however our wedding certificate only displays my original name and Laura's no where does it mention "Graeme John Nicholson"

Now DVLA accepted this perfectly fine, but the passport office (when I phoned them) said they're unsure if they will, etc etc,

Has anyone ever changed the name on their passport with their marriage certificate, and if so does your marriage certificate have you married name on it?

Much help appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to speak to someone higher up in the passport office. Generally it's assumed that the woman takes the man's name, so if you do anything different you need more detailed guidance.
    Right, well I spoke to my sister and she dug hers out,

Her certificate makes no mention of her married name, it just says

S**** P******* married K**** Hood

(so it has her maiden name on it not her married, yet thats accepted to change the passport, so if they accept that for women but not for me, surely that is discrimination? I don't know?

Good news anyway
    Yeah, my marriage certificate makes no mention of my married name and was acceptable to change my passport.

It 'should' be fine, but tbh I'd ring them just to see. You need to fill out the right parts of the application form anyway, so if you fill them out in your married name, the marriage certificate should just be there to prove you haven't pulled a new name out of your arse. I don't think they could justify not allowing you to use it in the same way a woman would, but I also know how easily confused they are at the best of times, so a phone call wouldn't hurt!

ETA: sorry, missed that you already rang them - agree with WhoWhere, you need to speak to a manager!
    Kaff wrote: »
    Yeah, my marriage certificate makes no mention of my married name and was acceptable to change my passport.

It 'should' be fine, but tbh I'd ring them just to see. You need to fill out the right parts of the application form anyway, so if you fill them out in your married name, the marriage certificate should just be there to prove you haven't pulled a new name out of your arse. I don't think they could justify not allowing you to use it in the same way a woman would, but I also know how easily confused they are at the best of times, so a phone call wouldn't hurt!

WOOHOOO

Called again, spoke to someone in the passport office and the examiner (who processes applications) although he hasn't got mine yet (only sent yesterday) he did say that marriage certificates do not display the changed name, (which I know) but as Laura's surname (Nicholson) is on the marriage certificate and thats what I am changing too it is okay, he checked with two colleagues to make sure and he is happy there shouldn't be any problems

He did say at the as we accept it for females, if we didn't accept yours you'd have a case for gender/sexual discrimination, to which I said that was going to be my next argument.

Looking good then :)
    This is a bit old to bump, but we are running into the same thing. We booked our recent international trip under our married names with the assumption we could just get my spouse's passport name changed without any issues with a copy of our marriage certificate. However, our marriage certificate does not have their married name, just their maiden name.

I called the passport office and they said it's a big process, filing for 3 public records, 2 affidavits, etc. However I'm finding mixed information online, including this post. I'm wondering what your end result was in sending in a passport renewal with a marriage certificate that does not reference a married name.

We've changed almost every other document (SS, DMV, etc.) but this seems to be the most difficult.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi jlewisinsyr - apologies but am I right that you're in the US? Unfortunately this is a UK forum so I'm afraid I am not sure of how things work in the US.

When I got married here in the UK the marriage certificate was sufficient - by me marrying my husband that was sufficient proof I was taking his name.