Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Part time job to meet people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a part time job or volunteering (although the money would be nice) mainly so I can make friends, gain some social skills and self confidence.

Any suggestions of part time jobs where I can meet people around my age (17) and have a chance of a conversation and gain social skills?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Work in a supermarket. That was my first job back in the day. I met loads of people my age, had a laugh, went on work nights out and generally built my confidence up working up with the public.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi JonD93 :wave:

It sounds like a great idea to look for part-time work or volunteering opportunities to help you to meet new people and build your confidence. You might find these articles useful as a starting point: Part-time jobs and Christmas Jobs (as it's that time of year) and another on Part-time jobs. As GoodFella said retail might be a good place to start as shops will be hiring more staff to help with the Christmas rush.

You might also want to have a quick look at the Volunteering and Activism forum too for some hints and tips about finding volunteering opportunities. A great place to start is www.do-it.org.uk as you can search opportunities in your local area.

If you are only looking to work part-time then you might have time to volunteer as well when you are not working which will increase your chances of meeting new people :) There are lots of opportunities to volunteer in the evening - I volunteer every Wednesday night after work for example.

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Laura