Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dissertation title help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was thinking something like 'Disney's adaptations of fairy tales: Beauty or Beast?' or, because im only writing about Snow White and Little Mermaid, maybe something like 'Who is the fairest one of all'..... some kind of quote or reference from one of the films.

Help?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I was thinking something like 'Disney's adaptations of fairy tales: Beauty or Beast?' or, because im only writing about Snow White and Little Mermaid, maybe something like 'Who is the fairest one of all'..... some kind of quote or reference from one of the films.

Help?

Disney's adaptations of fairy tales: Snow white and The Little Mermaid; beauties or beasts?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Disney's adaptations of fairy tales: Snow white and The Little Mermaid; beauties or beasts?

Ooooh i quite like it but is the ; in the correct place? Doesnt look quite right to me
    Anybody good in the usage of ";"
    Or i could just have 'Disney's adaptations of fairy tales Snow white and The Little Mermaid; beauties or beasts?'

With the original fairy tales titles obviously, as they're different from Disney's
    Or i could just have 'Disney's adaptations of fairy tales Snow white and The Little Mermaid; beauties or beasts?'

With the original fairy tales titles obviously, as they're different from Disney's

'Disney's adaptations of fairy tales Snow white and The Little Mermaid: beauties or beasts?'

Colon rather than semi-colon would be better. The semi-colon is a hard comma, whilst the colon would be used before the summary (ie the Beauties or Beast)/

Also as it is a title you'll want to capitalise

'Disney's Adaptations of Fairy Tales Snow White and The Little Mermaid: Beauties or Beasts?

ETA you may also prefer the title

'Disney's Adaptations of the Fairy Tales Snow White and The Little Mermaid: Beauties or Beasts?
    I had to hand in the form today so i went with 'Disney's Adaptations of Fairy Tales Snow White and The Little Mermaid: Beauties or Beasts?'

Didnt put in the 'the' though, hope its ok
    Are you actually discussing folklore, fairy tales and adaptation or just discussing those movies?
    katralla wrote: »
    Are you actually discussing folklore, fairy tales and adaptation or just discussing those movies?

Both, but focussing mainly on the disney adaptations, and what effect this has on the continuation of the fairy tales, are they better or worse than the 'originals' etc
    Sounds interesting, check out the Journal of American Follore, available via jstor and a sexy writer called linda degh for info on mass media folklore adaptations.
    Thanks i will, havent heard of her
    she's, er, not really sexy, she's a folklorist whose writing I have found sexily interesting in a non-sexual way...
    katralla wrote: »
    she's, er, not really sexy, she's a folklorist whose writing I have found sexily interesting in a non-sexual way...

Yea right.... :p
    Well, I've never seen a picture of her. I have rocked excitedly in my chair whilst reading articles/books of hers though... I am THAT cool.

When you look at the 'originals' are you looking for the tals from the oral tradition or a written down version?
    Im gonna be comparing them to the Grimms and Hans Andersen versions because theyre the ones the films are attributed to but am also gonna put a bit in about how even they arent original because it came from an oral tradition from generations before and even those authors adapted the tales to suit their Christian morals.
    Sounds good to me. Why did you pick those two movies, because you like them or are there some scenes in them that you think you'll be able to make some interesting arguments around?
    Well i started with a list of 5 to talk about, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast but was recommended to only do 2.

I guess i chose those because Snow White is the first Disney film adaptation and both are quite different from the stories, alot of changes in the messages and morals. Also they're 50 years apart made in 1937 and 1989 so it will be interesting to see the differences and how they reflect the societies they were made in
    Te he, and you get to watch The Little Mermaid over and over and call it 'homework'!

sing it with me now- under the sea...
    Haha oh yes and kiss the girl, thats my favourite!
    I'm singing - I've got gadgets and gizmos a plenty...

Check and see if your library has Stith Thompson's Motif Index books. You might find some interesting shit about the objects/settings/characters in the fairytales and in the movies. My uni library had the books, until some rascal stole some of them :(

Hmmn, The Little Mermaid was actually a little bit scary the last time I watched it all the way through. Could I stomach the animation to watch those songs again? hmmn, might have to watch it now...
    Last one I promise but check out Jack Zipes for marxist analysis of fairy tales. Also sexy writting, in that interesting but not actually sexual kinda way.
    Oh yea read alot of him, definately will sex my arguement up a bit im sure
    I had to hand in the form today so i went with 'Disney's Adaptations of Fairy Tales Snow White and The Little Mermaid: Beauties or Beasts?'

Didnt put in the 'the' though, hope its ok

I just thought it read a bit better with 'the'. That said you can always sneak it in when you hand in the main dissertation

However it does sound an interesting dissertation, as some of the original Folk Tales are very brutal compared to Disney's reimaginings

If you're interested in a fictional treatment of Fairy Tales, with some fairly detailed notes at the end on the Fairy Tales he used I'd read John Connolly's The Book of Lost Things, an excellent read.
    hiya,

yeah with dissertation titles you must be very very specific.
    your proposed title (and the present variations) are fairly vague and do not tell the reader what to expect as an outcome.

try this: ask yourself to complete this sentence

"my dissertation is about the...."

whatever comes after the "the" is your title.
    ultimately, your title needs to be your dissertation wrapped up into 15 wrods.