Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Could I be anaemic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about whether I could be anaemic? (I realise going to the doctor may be better, but I haven't registered with one since I moved towns, so yeah...)

I looked on the NHS website and tick quite a few boxes under the "symptoms" section. I am constantly tired even after 8 hours or more sleep and find it hard to concentrate, I also get out of breath really easily (I'm not the fittest of people but I am not so unfit it warrants getting out of breath the amount I seem to) and am usually quite pale. I also had a few other symptoms from other sites but quite a few of them are quite broad.

The reason I am not too sure is the constant tiredness has only really started since I started working, where I am on my feet a lot of the day. Before I worked, I did feel tired but not horribly so. So could it just be work tiring me out?

Comments

• Options
    they do sound like symptoms of anaemia but you would probably be better off checking at a doctors just in case. as a precaution you could start taking a course of iron tablets as that is all they'd probably tell you to do at the doctors. ask the pharmacist for ferrograd, thats what my doctor told me to get as i have anaemia sometimes, they're just over the counter iron tablets, and see if you start to feel any better? :)
  • Options
    Sometimes it does take awhile to get used to the demands of a new job (a lot of the time it comes from learning new stuff constantly) I've been told i look anaemic a lot of times, and had to have mutiple blood tests to prove otherwise (once, they wouldn't let me have a few teeth removed because they thought i was)
    best bet is a blood test :)
  • Options
    Sounds like u are to me and breathlessness is a sure sign, and heavy periods can sometimes cause this and not getting enough greens in your diet check the inside of your eyelid at the bottom is its really pale u have aneamia i have had it when i was younger, but just go drs . x
  • Options
    hmmm thanks guys!

I had a look and I don't think the inside of my eyes are particularly pale, but then I don't really know how pink/red they should be.

And as I have only been at my job a while I may wait and see if I feel any better in a bit- also gives me chance to find and register with a doctor. I sure hope I feel more awake soon :(
  • Options
    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about whether I could be anaemic? (I realise going to the doctor may be better, but I haven't registered with one since I moved towns, so yeah...)

I looked on the NHS website and tick quite a few boxes under the "symptoms" section. I am constantly tired even after 8 hours or more sleep and find it hard to concentrate, I also get out of breath really easily (I'm not the fittest of people but I am not so unfit it warrants getting out of breath the amount I seem to) and am usually quite pale. I also had a few other symptoms from other sites but quite a few of them are quite broad.

The reason I am not too sure is the constant tiredness has only really started since I started working, where I am on my feet a lot of the day. Before I worked, I did feel tired but not horribly so. So could it just be work tiring me out?

yes it sounds like you are, as i was aneamic for a year and suffered a lot with these symptoms. there are many types of it but you might just have low iron as that is the main type and what i had.

you really need to register with a doctor and just get a simple blood test, and anyway if you have it you will need to regualr contact with the doctor, having some tablets with stop all symptoms.

But in the mean time to ease the symptoms i suggest that you put more green vegtables and red meat in your diet and food that are high in iron
  • Options
    Go to the doctors, they should be able to find out either way for you soon enough :)
  • Options
    Yep, you could well be - I got slightly anaemic when I was preggers and felt a lot of the same things.

I'd go to your doctor rather than trying to self-medicate though. Iron tablets are not exactly gentle on your system and I wouldn't recommend taking them unless you have to!

Also if you find out you are anaemic, but not severely, try Spatone. I was only just under the threshold for treatment, and my midwife recommended them in place of the (cheap) iron tabs the GP gave me. They're more easily absorbed by your system, so less of the black cannonball poos and bellyache. Quite expensive, but cheaper than a prescription if you pay for them!
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Yep, you could well be - I got slightly anaemic when I was preggers and felt a lot of the same things.

I'd go to your doctor rather than trying to self-medicate though. Iron tablets are not exactly gentle on your system and I wouldn't recommend taking them unless you have to!

Also if you find out you are anaemic, but not severely, try Spatone. I was only just under the threshold for treatment, and my midwife recommended them in place of the (cheap) iron tabs the GP gave me. They're more easily absorbed by your system, so less of the black cannonball poos and bellyache. Quite expensive, but cheaper than a prescription if you pay for them!

if she is she willl have to have tablets, I did for a year untill i had another blood test that showed it had been cured