Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cooking christmas dinner!

ok, so i'm cooking christmas dinner this year and i need to order my turkey!

my question is, what is better, a whole turkey or a turkey crown?

my friend has told me that a turkey crown is much easier to cut, etc but is it as nice?

i am cooking for 6 people and want there to be enough for everyone too!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A turkey crown is just the breast meat so in terms of cutting or taste it's personal preference. And it all depends on your seasoning and the like too. I made a turkey crown, which was quite large, when it was just 2 of us and it was rather tasty.

For 6 people it would wholely depend on the size of crown and taste. If you all prefer the white meat and can get one big enough then a crown is fine. For me though, with that many people, I would probably get a whole turkey.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do they all like turkey? You could choose a different meat if they don't.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do they all like turkey? You could choose a different meat if they don't.

Yup. I'm cooking duck this year. Yummy.
  • Options
    yeah they all like turkey :)

morrisons are selling turkey crowns up to 5.4kg.

i would prefer to buy one as it would make life much easier on christmas day. however, some people have told me that a turkey crown is really dry compared to a normal turkey. mmm, dunno!
  • Options
    some people have told me that a turkey crown is really dry compared to a normal turkey

That's what gravy's for :)

Baconise it. Little bit of oil in the roasting tin (helps stop the butter burning). Smear it generously with UNSALTED butter. Season with pepper. Lay rashers of bacon over the crown/turkey so all the breast is covered.

30 minutes before it's due to be ready. Take the bacon off, reseason with pepper and pop back in the oven. Crispy skin, moist breasts. And the turkey won't be dry either :D
  • Options
    mmm, i might just get a crown then. will make things much less stressful on christmas day!
  • Options
    Turkey is a dry meat in general. When I did the crown I put lots of butter and seasoning underneath the skin of the meat, I put bacon on the top for the last 30 minutes and I basted it regularly whilst cooking (every 30 mins or so) and it wasn't dry. It's down to the cooking :p
  • Options
    hehe, ok :) might still get a full turkey, really don't know yet! crowns are much more expensive!

have never cooked a turkey before! cooked plenty of chickens and they've turned out alright, lol! it can't be that hard!
  • Options
    If you buy a turkey and you stuff it ( oh this thread :) ) your cooking time is worked out from the TOTAL weight of turkey and stuffing.
  • Options
    yeah they all like turkey
  • Options
    just want to say thanks for the turkey cooking tips.

i ended up buying a crown in the end (and there was plenty left over) and it turned out perfect. i put butter/seasoning underneath the skin and smothered the turkey on top with butter too (HELLO calories!!!). i also put bacon and foil on top of the turkey which was taken off 30 minutes before taking it out of the oven. the turkey was also basted every 30 minutes.

the turkey was so so moist! couldn't believe it! it was so yummy! i got told by one of my guests that it was the best turkey they had ever had! :D