Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I think I might be getting depressed again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
this sounds really dumb but I think my depression might be coming back.

I feel.... OK in myself. I don't hate myself or anything, not feeling suicidal. I have a wonderful fiance. I've got a brand new job I'm starting next month. But for the last two weeks I've not been into work and told them some MASSIVE lies so I don't have to go in.

I'm already working my notice period and have less than two weeks left but I just can't motivate myself to get up in the morning and go in. I started off phoning in and saying I had a family emergency and it's gotten to the point where I'm not going in and text my friend saying I think I'm having a nervous breakdown/can't leave the house etc.

I don't know why I'm doing this but I really just cannot be arsed to go in. I'm leaving for specific reasons and I don't see why I should have to worry about stuff that I'm not even going to be around to do. I was hoping they would put me on gardening leave as I'm going to work for a competitor but nope.

Any idea how I can get out of this cycle? I really need to go back in (scared they are demand their money back!) I wake up in time and I could probably quite easily get dressed etc but I've just been like... bugger it.

Note: The reason I'm asking if I could be relapsing is I have had very severe depression in the past which started by me not getting up and staying in bed all day like I have been doing.

Comments

• Options
    Hi StarCrossed,

What is really positive is that you are able to recognise the signs that you may be slipping into depression and you have asked for some support now. As you have been there before you will know the signs only too well. It is also understandable that you do not want to go into work as you are working out your notice, but it seems that you do want to go.

What have you done in the past to motivate yourself? You mentioned it's a cycle you are in and maybe it's a case of breaking the cycle. Can your fiancee support you to get up and out?

Good luck and take care :)
  • Options
    Hey SC, i totally understand that feeling that things might not be right, i often get this lack of motivation/tiredness/withdrawal as an early warning sign my mood is dipping low so it's good you've recognised it. My advice is to try and turn up to work but ask to have a quick word with your supervisor, explain you are not quite feeling 100% and if you need to leave early they will have advance notice. Maybe your fiance or a friend can drive you in the morning? I think this will be a big hurdle to overcoming your mood, once you have the stress of 'not going in' over with i think you'll feel better about it.
    If your mood gets worse, def see your GP. It could just be stress about all the changes you are going through.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. I ended up doing a massive round the houses yesterday with Walk in Clinics and ended up getting registered with a new GP. She's signed me off work and discussed all my options with me and I feel a lot better.

She initially wanted to sign me off for the rest of my time at my current unemployment but I'll be going in for a couple of days to sort out all my bits and pieces.

She said it sounds like it wasn't a particular thing that triggered it but I'm going through three of the most stressful things you can go through, job change, moving house, getting married etc. Which has probably taken it's toll.

My new job involves me getting up a little bit earlier and getting a train but, and it sounds really silly, I've just found out its a casual office which takes a lot of stress out of my evenings/mornings. Fannying about with ironing and comfortable shoes for the day has always been a nightmare!

Thanks so much :)
  • Options
    Ohhh that's brilliant!!:D i'm glad you've found such an understanding GP! I also find even positive changes affect my stress levels in a negative way, so my sympathies are with you.

xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    Yeah I'm so pleased as I've had some crappy ones in the past (the worst one was a staunch Catholic who wouldn't prescribe me the pill despite it not being for sexual reasons!)

I've noticed that I seem to react badly to change, whether good or bad, and my episodes tend to occur when there is a huge change in my life. This seems to have been a bit of a slow burning one that seems to have suddenly crept up on me. I've decided to try medication this time, something I've always avoided but I discussed it with my fiance beforehand and we both agreed it wasn't going to be forever and to give it a try.

So fingers crossed I'll be able to get some sleep soon. I managed about 3 hours today and rather than stay in bed I'm sort of up and about rather than lying in the dark... which probably wasn't helping!