Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Long term contraception - Implant?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, I've just had our second baby, and want to think of long term contraception. We have a girl and boy, and feel our family is complete, we are thinking of me having maybe the implant for a good few years, and then maybe him having the snip:p

I have been on the pill Carazete (sp) am I right in thinking this is the same as the implant? I go on well with it, so hopefully will be ok with the implant. I dont fancy the coil and heard bad stuff about the depo jab.

Has anyone had one? Any side effects? Put on weight/bleeding lots?? I know people are different but I want an idea, I dont know anyone who has got it!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The wife had the implant three years ago, for us it almost ruined our marriage, it works well, just a little too well. Basically it killed her sex drive until we had at removed, 2 years later. Obviously everyone is different.

On a side note, she &ad no weight gain, no periods or bleeding. Just the sex drive issue. Which kinda makes the point of it useless. Lol.
    for what its worth, if youve just had a baby, then the coil wont even hurt to be put in. I had my last one 3mths postnatal and i couldnt even feel it go in as the cervix was still soft
    One of my friends has the implant. She hasn't had a period or anything, and as far as I know she hasn't put on any weight or anything :)

I know that it does hurt a bit when they put it in, and can really hurt when they take it out though. Hope that helps x
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah I guess if it kills sex drive then its pointless having it in!!

The thing about the coil is I have heard people getting pregnant on it, I know no contraception is 100% but knowing my luck....! and when people say they can check the strings!:yuck:

I'll have a look on net for info on the coil tho, what sort are you on Suzie?
    One of my friends has the implant. She hasn't had a period or anything, and as far as I know she hasn't put on any weight or anything :)

I know that it does hurt a bit when they put it in, and can really hurt when they take it out though. Hope that helps x

Thank you. I've heard it hurts alot too, but I have just got to think about giving birth with just gas and air and I should cope!;) :d
    for what its worth, if youve just had a baby, then the coil wont even hurt to be put in. I had my last one 3mths postnatal and i couldnt even feel it go in as the cervix was still soft

:yes:

I just had a Mirena coil put in a few weeks ago, and even thought I didn't have a natural birth, it didn't hurt. It was a little bit odd and a little uncomfortable as the doc was fishing about in there, but it was 4 months after I'd had the little one, so I was well used to discomfort and my dignity hadn't returned yet!

Obv haven't had it long, but no side effects as yet, other than a wee bit of spotting.

I think that the mini-pill, implant and hormonal coil all have the same hormones in, so if you get on well with one, in theory you should with them all :)
    Yeah I no wrote: »
    The thing about the coil is I have heard people getting pregnant on it, I know no contraception is 100% but knowing my luck....!

Really? I can't find a source but I thought the Mirena coil was as, if not more, effective than sterilisation at preventing pregnancy.... So that is quite effective. I thought it was 99%+ anyway.
    Really? I can't find a source but I thought the Mirena coil was as, if not more, effective than sterilisation at preventing pregnancy.... So that is quite effective. I thought it was 99%+ anyway.

The leaflet I got when I had it put in said more than 99% effective, but that's assuming it stays in! Apparently sometimes they can be accidentally pulled out (tampons are big offenders, my doc said), or come out on their own, and if you don't realise, obviously you're not protected all all. But then that's where the string checking comes in.
    I had the implant in for about three months. I had to have it taken out as it really didn't agree with me :no:

It made me put on weight, made me very down and moody (I was a massive super bitch) and even made my hair fall out! Supposedly it's a very rare side effect, trust it to happen to me :yeees: :rolleyes: For the three months it was in I didn't have a period I just had spotting and random bleeding every now and again but nothing much.
    But I think hormone contraceptives don't agree with me at all :(

I know a lot of people have been fine with the Implant but it just wasn't for me!
    No hormone coil, took a while to settle down and made my periods heavier and more painful for a while. All fine now.
    im another one who is pro-coil. 10 years contraception with some of them, 5 with others. I hated my implant, made me really mood swingy and mad cowlike.
    the mirena is more effective than sterilisation.
    I've had my implant for nearly two years and I've not had any problems with it, only the bruise after it was put in. Everyone reacts differently though. My doctor got me to take cerazette for a couple of months beforehand to see how I coped with that before putting the implant in. I'm almost certain that when this one runs out I'll get another one. I've had a couple of spotting episodes and my weight has stayed roundabout the same :)
    I've been on Cerazette for more than 2 years now, i keep meaning to get the implant but forget to make the appt lol. I love it... no bleeding, no spotting, no mood changes, no weight loss/gain :D w00t!
    Brook's contraception tool is quite useful for working out what will suit you depending on your priorities and what you feel you want and don't want in a contraceptive.

:)