Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Who is going to pay for Willy Wales' wedding then?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your 'top 10 paid for attractions' are wrong. Tatton Park gets 750,000 and Eden just over 1 million a year. Don't see Blackpool Pleasure Beach (6 million) or Alton Towers (2.7 million)
    Will the day off be a bank holiday? You know... paid day off? If so, we should encourage more of the horsey fuckers into wedlock. I wonder if we'd get a bank holiday if I gay-married Harry...
    Thank you for reading my blog, sir. :d

I had a read of that the other day. It sounds like you're up to some seriously cool stuff, dude! More than a little bit envious.
    The Pope is a head of state so diplomatic protocol states that the host country pays. Just as the Chinese paid for Dave's trip to China a week or so ago. That's the way it is. We have done this argument to death here: http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=142553

I think you misunderstand my post. I'm not disputing that the 'host country pays' etc and have no intention of derailing this thread. All I was saying is that I am personally happier spending a quid of my taxes on the wedding rather than any expense that was used on the Pope's visit. Most visiting heads of state can, at least, offer us trade agreements etc that might benefit our country. The Pope has virtually nothing to offer us and was therefore an expensive indulgence. At least with the wedding, there will be some additional benefit to parts of our economy. Either way, there isn't much I can do about it. ;)
    Hot diggidy damn! Date announced and according to DirectGov, there will be two, yes, two four day weekends in succession!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

Come on Aladdin, don't tell me that even your stoney heart isn't warmed a little now?
    Hot diggidy damn! Date announced and according to DirectGov, there will be two, yes, two four day weekends in succession!

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

Come on Aladdin, don't tell me that even your stoney heart isn't warmed a little now?

Spoken like a true banker.

(With those dark financial stormclouds gathering on the horizon,anyone with a suspicious mind and large bank deposits may be nervous of two long weekends in succession. You would not be a spoilsport and keep mum over any such information, would you ? ;) )

Yeah, and the week before that is school holidays. Know that doesn't effect you... but :yippe:
    Excellent, another bank holiday I can be paid overtime to work through :p
    Great, bank holiday- I don't earn commission if I'm not at work...

Aye, and pretty much the same occurs at Christmas/NY too if I'm not mistaken! (a four day followed by a three day weekend). I could get used to that :yes:
    Funny how some people not making it into work one day costs the country untold billions of Pounds causing massive damage to the economy (i.e. during the snow storms last year), but the entire country suddenly not having to work on April 29th because of the wedding is rejoiced by the right wing press like if it were the second coming of Jesus Christ...

Laughable, really... :D
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Funny how some people not making it into work one day costs the country untold billions of Pounds causing massive damage to the economy (i.e. during the snow storms last year), but the entire country suddenly not having to work on April 29th because of the wedding is rejoiced by the right wing press like if it were the second coming of Jesus Christ...

Laughable, really... :D

You need to read the front page of the Telegraph (which I assume is part of this right-wing press) as the cost to business is one of their headlines

(However most of the complaints on cost treat it as a zero-sum, in reality there is some cost which at least partially off-set by people doing other economically productive things like taking the family off for a long week-end in Devon eg hotels and restaurants (or more likely ice-cream bars/fast food joints). I also don't know how the TV rights are being managed, but potentially they could also net a mint, not to mention souvenir plates etc)
    I stand corrected. Good on the Telegraph for consistency, at least.
    Well considering we only put 62p (or 69p depending which report you use) per year towards the Royal Family (... a pint of milk costs more...) I think they can spend a few of my pence on their wedding. After all, we may get a day off work- surely that's worth the cost?!
    We end up paying for it one way or another, but since William may be as old as Charles before he gets a sniff of the throne, maybe this would be a good time to say that Charles will be the last monarch, and W & C can have a much less extravagent do, which her father will be able to afford?
    The "Oh, I'd really prefer that William was king rather than Charles" meme is completely ridiculous. IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT!

A monarchy is MEANT to be a pointless succession of a token of power through a chosen heritage.

Not to mention in the modern world completely irrelevant; see WikiLeaks regarding evidence that a member of the monarchy, oh so surprisingly, doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Yep, might as well suggest that Charlie stands aside for Jamie Oliver to be monarch, or whoever wins 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!'