Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smart / casual clothes for work?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
All I have is a pair of black trousers and a shirt.

What is classed as "smart casual"? Being that it's winter and generally very cold, what are the best things to buy? I'm not into really girly clothes.

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm.. smart casual for me (as a guy) would be black trousers and a shirt but maybe no tie,

I suppose from what I know from my work for women it'd be dark black trouser/skirt with a white top, maybe short sleaves? I dunno,

try googling "smart casual woman" etc?
  • Options
    Hi i think black trouses are soooo very boring (sorry) if your not a girly dresser depending on how tall u are and your shape why not opt for some wide legged tweed type trousers they have some in River island , u could wear a lovely chiffon shirt with a tank top , or a polo neck all of these are smart casual and u would look like u has a bit of style 2, u can even add a necklace, Topshop at the moment have a new range and iys smart u should check it out goodluck ( i Know these may seem expensive for " work clothes") But u would get a lot of use out of them if u go to work everyday. x
  • Options
    just not one of those sweatshirts with the shirt sewn in. they creep me out
  • Options
    If it's any help, my work dress code is smart casual and in the last fornight I've worn some combination of the following:

suit type trousers
    the more wide legged check type trousers
    plain long sleeve or 3/4 length sleeve fitted t shirts
    plain blouses
    smart skirts (not a girly girl either, but more comfortable to wear than suit trousers I find)
    Plain v neck knit jumpers

At this stage can I highly recommend Asda and Tesco, especially if yuo're not sure exactly what you're after. Couple of t shirts, couple of jumpers, couple of pairs of trousers or 1 trousers/1skirt, black socks and tights and you're sorted. Almost everything is mix and matchable.

I have a very nice pencil skirt from Tesco on currently, £10, my other one is Asda and also very nice for £5.

Todays out fit are knee high boots, plain black tights, pin strip pencil skirts, and a plain black long sleeve t shirt (primark at £3). Works a treat.

As a girl, as long as you've got the bottom half smart, you can generally get away with most things on the top half.

Seriously, try skirts, they're much more comfy than the nasty trousers.

Feet wise, I'm wearing my boots pretty much every day at the moment, but anything vaguely sensible is generally fine.
  • Options
    I'd say play it safe your first week and err on the side of smart, but then take your cue from what others are wearing. Different workplaces have different ideas of what smart casual is. Generally I'd say no jeans, trainers, sportswear, etc, and a neat appearance. Other than that, pretty fair game.

Our dress code at work is smart casual but girls can get away with most things other than really scruffy jeans or tracky bums. My standard work look was a floaty top, neat cardy, dark skinny jeans and flats.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Generally I'd say no jeans, trainers, sportswear, etc, and a neat appearance. Other than that, pretty fair game.

This is what I thought too.

I now have a few more pairs of trousers and a cardigan. Will have another look tomorrow at tops.

Thanks guys. :)
  • Options
    Some work places will enforce some kind of dress code, but I try to wear anything as comfy as possible to work, usually leggings with a jumper/boyfriend cardi does me fine :)
  • Options
    Last time I went anywhere in 'smart casual' I wore nice jeans with leather boots and a nice top and jacket, which seemed ok.

I hate the term smart casual though.
  • Options
    I think it would probaberbly be black trouses and a firm coat like a suit, to be honest. I would where a whirt inside long/short sleeved depends on the average weather, if you where a coat make sure you do a similar colour pants. Make sure it not to fancy but not to street style either so as one the above said no jeans half tops legings baggy coats and so on...

Katie :)
  • Options
    I had to wear smart casual for my pt job a while ago.....

I used to wear either black or pinstipe trousers and jumper, usually something like brown or white or navy to break it up, in the winter i would wear a shirt underneath the jumper and in the summer i would wear a vest top underneath
  • Options
    I agree with u .