Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is this self harm?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I scratch fuck outta my scalp. I cut in the past and although I havent for a while, with a few exceptions, im generally doing this at times when if I think I probably would have self harmed in the past. Its so bad my scalp is currently covered in scabs and its totally minging :/

Dont know what classifying my behaviour will achieve but there we go.

Comments

• Options
    yes, i would say self harm is anything which you do that is deliberately damaging to yourself. do you think you would be able to stop? silly question i know, but i was just wondering if it has become more of a habit now?
  • Options
    Trichotillomania is an impulse control disorder, causing urges to pull out hair, eyelashes or eyebrows. Many people with the disorder feel unable to discuss their hair pulling. A large percentage of the population still do not understand what trichotillomania is; the difficulties which the condition presents or how best to help. Trichotillomania is not always an obvious disorder; it is often hidden. As a result, people with trichotillomania have to overcome numerous barriers to get treatment and support.

http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/
  • Options
    Possibly worth a look at the link, but pulling hair out and scratching may be different? Definitely classified as self harm though. *hug*
  • Options
    to be honest its a lot more automatic now, i can scratch my head to the point of bleeding without necessarily realising ive done it. But just to share disgusting detail when its scabbed i even end up taking them off so its become fairly raw and horrible, ive taken to wearing my winter hat in lectures and shit as well now in case its visible dispite my masses of hair :
  • Options
    If you're doing it to intentionally hurt yourself then yeah, I'd class it as self-harm. Not conventional, but same thing really.
  • Options
    I think it doesnt count as self harm because its something that harms you and your intentionally doing it to yourself.

Like, my friends councellor told me - i met her once cus i might be going to see her too - that if you take a cold bath once a week to punish yourself for something or anything like that it counts and self harm aswell.

i might be wrong tho.

hope it helps.

Lemon.
  • Options
    Have you seen TheSite.org article on What is Self Harm?.It goes into a bit more detail about the ways people self harm but also about the motivations behind it.

Is your scalp itchy when you start scratching, or has it got to the point where the main scratching you do is of previous scabs? Do you think if you were able to let it all heal, you would stop, or would the cycle start again?

If you are doing it without really realising - could wearing cloth or woolly gloves help (easier in winter). It would be harder to scratch when you've got these on and might cut out the times you do it without realising.
  • Options
    Its never cause my heads itchy, its just cause its a place that comes with a way to hide it built in. I am taking of the scabs, but when im not stressed it can heal, but ill just end up clawing out more later when I am feeling stressed again.
  • Options
    Ah ok, if it is related to stress and is used as a stress relief then I agree, I think it could be classified as self harm. Classifying it in this way could help you take the first step to trying to work out how to stop. The self harm section on TheSite.org has a lot of information which you could find useful, including alternative coping and stress management tips.
  • Options
    It might be worth wearing a hat when you are at home, just to stop yourself from being able to scratch?
    I know this is different, but my little sister used to twist her hair round her fingers till it all got tangly and fell out, and now she does it to a doll with long hair instead. So, maybe you could find something to replace the scratching? As Fostress has said, there are loads of useful things on here :)
    But as you've said it's become more of a habit, then I'd say try wearing a hat inside.. because if it's a habit, you wont always realise you are doing it and a hat will stop you. If you do it when you are out as well, maybe wear a big alice band? x