Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

MA in social work - funding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
a really silly question but can anyone explain this to me? i want to do an MA in social work eventually. as i understand it, (maybe i am wrong) you dont have to pay a bursary back. is this right?

i am looking at this orange table:
http://www.socialworkcareers.co.uk/start/postgraduate.asp

at FT outside London.

i dont understand what they mean by fee contribution, is this the part i pay? i am just trying to find out roughly how much it would cost me to do an MA an how much i can expect the bursary to pay for. whether it is all of it etc etc.

thanks in advance :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A bursary is just like a grant - you don't pay it back.

Have you looked at universities offering the MA? They might be able to give you more information.
    yup Hull university and it seems that if you get in to do it then the NHS pay for it all! i think.... well worth applying if that is the case :D
    Most UK students receive financial support in the form of a bursary administered by the NHS Business Services Authority. Bursaries cover all course fees and expenses, but self-financing students must meet all such costs themselves. The university does not, unfortunately, have bursaries which are likely to be available for this course.

i have been on the NHS business services authority website and cant really understand it.. at all. but i shall apply!
    Phone the university that you are thinking of applying to, and ask their registration department. Also, ask if you can book an appointment with then head of the course. Make sure you are fully in the know before yous ign up to stuff.

I think it sounds like a really good idea, and a fantastic direction for you. Better to be prepared though eh? Having an pre-interview interview might give you a few tips too. Write down a couple of questions you want to ask, like what experience they are looking for before they take people on to the course, and what experience and grades people get who end up employed in social work directly after the course. Be a scout.
    katralla wrote: »
    Phone the university that you are thinking of applying to, and ask their registration department. Also, ask if you can book an appointment with then head of the course. Make sure you are fully in the know before yous ign up to stuff.

I think it sounds like a really good idea, and a fantastic direction for you. Better to be prepared though eh? Having an pre-interview interview might give you a few tips too. Write down a couple of questions you want to ask, like what experience they are looking for before they take people on to the course, and what experience and grades people get who end up employed in social work directly after the course. Be a scout.

that's a good idea, thanks :) i'm gonna have to email though rather than do a pre-interview interview. it's all the way up in hull! i've found who to email. i need to ask about the requirement for a maths at grade c. i got a d. bah. kent uni let me off so fingers crossed this one does. if they don't then it's the adult education centre for me..

katralla i sent out an email just now with all my questions :) here it is:
    Dear Mr BLAH,

I'm really keen to apply for the MA in Social Work but I have a few queries I was hoping you could answer. I understand on the Admission section it specifies a Maths GCSE at grade C or above. I was able to only achieve a D. Would this be a problem? I have met the other specifications such as a second class Honours degree and I have my English GCSE at grade B. I wanted to mention that I attempted to gain my Maths GCSE at a higher level during an Access course but I was still unable to pass. Whilst at university I was diagnosed with dyslexia and dyspraxia so it is quite likely that my learning difficulties contributed to this. If my Maths GCSE is not satisfactory then I am prepared to enrol in a summer school in order to obtain it. I just wanted to double check really beforehand and also to ask whether I would need to have it prior to applying on UCAS.

Also with regards to funding, as I understand it the NHS Business Services Authority provide a bursary to cover all fees and expenses. Would I automatically be accepted for a bursary if I was accepted onto the course? Or do I need to make a seperate application?

Apologies for all the questions. I would have liked to meet with you in person to ask all of this however I am all the way down in Kent!

Thanks for your time.

Yours sincerely,

do you think that's ok? tried to be as succint as possible but i know i waffle. REALLY dont want to repeat my GCSE maths. blughhhhh
    I'll take it for you :)
    katralla wrote: »
    I'll take it for you :)

had a lovely reply from him but the upshot is if my application is accepted then i will have to retake maths gcse this summer, :shocking:
    Like I said, I'll do it for ya ;)
    had a lovely reply from him but the upshot is if my application is accepted then i will have to retake maths gcse this summer, :shocking:

If you need any help, I'm sure someone on here can help you.
    If you can manage a degree, you can manage a Maths GCSE with some reasonable teaching and the right attitude.

When you get further down the line, it would be worth checking whether it has to be Maths GCSE or whether some other numeracy qualification would be acceptable. Might be able to find one that's examined in a way that suits you better.

Happy to help when you get closer though with learning maths.
    If you can manage a degree, you can manage a Maths GCSE with some reasonable teaching and the right attitude.

When you get further down the line, it would be worth checking whether it has to be Maths GCSE or whether some other numeracy qualification would be acceptable. Might be able to find one that's examined in a way that suits you better.

Happy to help when you get closer though with learning maths.

thanks SM :)

it has to be the equivalent, I know it can be key skills level 2 numeracy. i will look into the courses as soon as my application is in on ucas.

thanks melian too oh and katralla, make another video! you knows what i mean :D
    It's comin, it's comin...