Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How can I volunteer now ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone,

I've got about 1 month free time to do some work and help wherever I would be needed. Could anyone recommend me something in London (SE area or central)

I'm looking into: helping homeless, mentoring or really just help people in need.

Thanks!

Andy

Comments

• Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Hi Andy,

Getting quickly into short term volunteering can be quite difficult, particularly if you want to volunteer with children and young people as they'll need to do appropriate checks on you that can take time. That said, it doesn't mean it's impossible!

Firstly, have a look at Do-it and see if anything excites you. If nothing interests you, visit your local volunteer centre who will know about local volunteering opportunities.

Alternatively, contact relevant charities direct. For example, if you are keen on helping homeless people, try Crisis or St Mungos or one of the many smaller homeless shelters. A lot of organisations, such as Crisis, have big volunteering programmes over Christmas - so although you are slightly early they might really appreciate a volunteer helping doing the planning.

Similarly, if mentoring is your thing, have a look at the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation, the umbrella body for relevant groups.

Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

Olly
  • Options
    Olly_B wrote: »
    Hi Andy,

Getting quickly into short term volunteering can be quite difficult, particularly if you want to volunteer with children and young people as they'll need to do appropriate checks on you that can take time. That said, it doesn't mean it's impossible!

Firstly, have a look at Do-it and see if anything excites you. If nothing interests you, visit your local volunteer centre who will know about local volunteering opportunities.

Alternatively, contact relevant charities direct. For example, if you are keen on helping homeless people, try Crisis or St Mungos or one of the many smaller homeless shelters. A lot of organisations, such as Crisis, have big volunteering programmes over Christmas - so although you are slightly early they might really appreciate a volunteer helping doing the planning.

Similarly, if mentoring is your thing, have a look at the Mentoring and Befriending Foundation, the umbrella body for relevant groups.

Hope this helps...

Best wishes,

Olly

Excellent reply! thanks so much.

For quick results I think I will visit my local volunteer center and take it from there!

All the best!

Andy
  • Options
    wander round local charity shops or anywhere you would like to volounteer