Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

gym aches and pains

about a month or so ago, i got myself a gym membership after not going for about 2 years.

i am going about 3 times a week and when i go, i do about an hours cardio and 30-45 minutes of weight training. this is what i used to do but didn't have the problems i am now!

thing is, every single time i go the gym, the day after (and sometimes for 2 days after), i ache sooooooo much! i went to a bodypump class yesterday and today i can't even bloody move! it hurts to!

now my question is, are these aches and pains a good thing? is it a sign of a good workout or is it a sign i've injured myself/done too much?

its getting a bit annoying now :grump:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How much of a warm down are you doing?

Any at all?

If you're weight training after not doing so for a long time then you're pretty much guarenteed to get muscle aches, because you'll be working them far beyond where they're used to working.

If cardio type stuff is also giving you aches and pains then a good starting point in checking your warm down - doing one that covers all the muscles you've been using to do the exercise. My preferred one is the rower, but then I do most of my exercise on a rowing machine anyway. It's a good one because it uses almost all of your muscles you're likely to have used doing any other kind of work out.

Couple of minutes at no more than 20 strokes per minute with the lever on the side set to no more than 4.
  • Options
    I think maybe almost two hours three times a week is a lot if you havent exercised for two years, there should be someone at the gym who could advise you on a programme to follow.
    I used to go to the gym every other day and consider myself to be in good shape but even so i still had days when i ached like mad.
    I dont go anymore since i took up running and to be honest its the best thing i did
  • Options
    I feel cheated if I don't ache after a work out.
  • Options
    your supposed to do your warm up and stretches b4 u start and again when your finished u should'nt ache then x
  • Options
    Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)