Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eczema - change of environment? Stress?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering if eczema can suddenly flare up because of a change in where the person is or their situation?

I havent had it in years, not since i was little, but living away from home for uni last year and this year i've had it come back in a patch on my arm, about 1 inch by 2 in size, nothing a bit of over the counter cream cant sort out though.

Im just curious as to why this is. Im not overly stressed, enjoy living away from home, not homesick or anything. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally i would of thought yes, that could happend. Change of water, maybe eating habits (more and /or less of something), maybe even the milk may be slightly different.

You can become allergic to thibngs over night. I did with biological washing powder. Used it for years the all of a sudden it made me Queen Itchy from the land of Itchy. Took me fucking ages to find it out too.

As for stress, well you don't have to feel stress to be under stress. So you may well have some stress in your life but your coping with it but it's still there. Maybe lowering your immune system a little and the other things stress does.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It certainly happens with me. My skin flares up when the temperature suddenly dips, when I am stressed or when I change washing powder.
    I am soooo pleased i saw this post!! I would say its down to the weather and the bloody central heating because for me this last week my face has been sooooo itchy it been driving me nuts i have never had it b4 and i have a few dry patches on my face and body .
    I have stopped putting my heating on so much and also not been having the shower sooooo hot.
    My face is now back to normal thankgod.
    Goodluck E45 cream is good for dry patches or exfoliating them off with a good body scrub helps x
    flowergirl wrote: »
    E45 cream is good for dry patches

Waste of money. Just go to the chemist and ask for aqueous cream if all you need is re-hydration/moisturisation of the skin.
    Yea i went to Boots and asked for E45 but the girl gave me some own brand hydrocorstisone which hasnt made it disappear yet but its certainly alot better.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Waste of money. Just go to the chemist and ask for aqueous cream if all you need is re-hydration/moisturisation of the skin.

:yes:
    I have found this helps more than e45.
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Aqueous cream can also be used to shower with.
    I've a mate with a quite bad eczema, he says its dust that sets it off and seen as dust is different everywhere, being in new places can stress he's eczema.