Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Minimum wage? (and tax credits)

I've chucked it into Google and results are telling me that it's going up to £5.93/hour next month. I'm just wanting to check whether that's correct and what the current rate is now?

I have finally got a job, but it wasn't completely from my effort. It was with help through the Future Job Fund. Even though it's only 25 hours and nat. minimum wage, I had to accept it really because it has taken me a whole year to find work.

Do the maths, £5.93 x 25 = £148.25 weekly pay, times by 4.33 to get it monthly and it comes to £641. Knock off the tax and it'll be about £600 take-home pay. (I was on £1000 take-home before). My mortgage is £318, council tax is £70 and my bills are a further £150. Do some more maths and that leaves me with £62 for... food. Per month!! So given the salary and my outgoings, is there any idea on what I can get in disabled working tax credits?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Also, check what you are entitled to, are you getting DLA? Remember to still claim for Housing Benefit and Concil Tax benefit, and to find out if you qualify for a back to work bonus as you've been on JSA for a year.

Good luck Monserrat, the job market is tough at the moment and even if it fels like a bit of a step down from where you were before, you should feel proud of yourself for having found work.
  • Options
    The adult rate of minimum wage is currently £5.80, and does indeed go up to £5.93 next month. You might be able to claim tax credits so check once you start your new job. Make sure you get your P45 from the benefit office and give it to your new employers so you dont end up over-paying income tax.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot both of you. I was on housing benefit and I didn't realise that I could continue with that. Also, I haven't worked in this financial year, so will I need a P45? I still have the one from last year from when I was made redundant. I'm due for a jobcentre visit today anyway, so I'll throw 'em a few questions too :-)
  • Options
    Back to work benefits MUST MUST ABSOLUETELY MUST get them sorted BEFORE you start work. DWP and job centre can be complete cunts over these. Leig got £40 a week for the first year he started back at work, but he got fucked about by the job centre over it.

Yeah u can still get HB and Council Tax Benefit, though you'll get a % off what you pay, you won't get the full ammount. You could well be entitled to carry on or start claiming DLA.

Whe you sign off benefits, you'll get a P60 (i think). When you start work, declare that that is your only job and give em the P60 when you get it.
  • Options
    Oh, and as you're on ilness related benefits, fill out an HC1 (help with NHS costs). You may well get a full voucher (HC2) or at least some money off what you have to pay for. Nothing to lose except the time it takes to fill in.

Get them from some post offices, GP, dentist, job centre, hospitals.

Ring the DH Publications Orderline on 0845 610 1112

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Medicinespharmacyandindustry/Prescriptions/NHScosts/DH_4049391

Call them as soon as u can, once you've completed the form and sent it off, if you have to pay for any scrips etc make sure you get a receipt because if you're entilted to help you can then go to the pharmacy and calim your money back.

Also found this http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1130.aspx
  • Options
    Thanks RS. I saw my disability advisor today and she said that I could also claim £66 per week on tax credits, given that I'm on minimum wage and working 25 hours a week. I'm absolutely amazed. That's a big top-up to my earnings. I was like "Seriously?", and had to say that a couple of times :-) RS, talking of the P60, she also printed me off something similar which showed how much JSA I've received this year, and it is regarded as "taxable social security benefits". She also mentioned something where you can get a golden hello of £100 when you're back into work. Even better, I can still claim JSA to bridge the gap between now and my start date. Extremely helpful. Thankfully, I see her one more time in a fortnight then I can raise any further questions.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Oh, and as you're on ilness related benefits, fill out an HC1 (help with NHS costs). You may well get a full voucher (HC2) or at least some money off what you have to pay for. Nothing to lose except the time it takes to fill in.

If you claim working tax credits with disability element and earn under around £15.2k, you don't need to do this. You get sent a exemption card.

There is a 4 weeks run on for housing benefit and council tax benefit.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018901
    Whe you sign off benefits, you'll get a P60 (i think).

It's a P45. P60 is given to you at the end of the tax year / start of the new tax year.
  • Options
    Sorry to necro-post, but I'm just popping a polite follow up and thanks to everyone who replied here. My claim for working tax credits finalised today and it's equivalent to earning times-and-a-half.
  • Options
    Hurrah :yippe:

Did you do the HC1 etc ?
  • Options
    Ahh I forgot about that, but I have kept a receipt from a recent visit to the chemist's.

P.S. I couldn't continue with housing benefit in the end, but they did give me a 1-month cooling down period before I pay council tax again.
  • Options
    Shame about the HB but a month of no couccil tax is good. Like i said nothing to lose by claiming :)