Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I still have no idea what career I want to do

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not looking for advice as such; but any would be appreciated:

Over the weekend, I realised what exactly it is I want to do when I've finished my degree. (BSc Open Degree) How worried about this I should be; I don't know. I have 4-5 years to go before I finish my degree.

I went on to www.prospects.ac.uk to see what my options are with my degree. (I'm doing computing and maths modules) There is a quiz on there to see what jobs are suitable; based on subject studied and interests.

Part of my problem is that I have very little (or none, in some cases) relevant work experience. All I've done that's sort of relevant is office type work and will be working at Royal Mail in December as a data keyer. (data entry) I know I don't want to do programming or databases and don't want to go into teaching. I also don't fancy the idea of still doing data entry in 10 years time or so - fine as a Christmas temp job; but not what I really want to do until I retire. I know there are many options out there open to me - but I seriously have no idea what career I really want to do. I haven't used the OU careers service yet.

Part of the problem I've had over the last 5 years, is that I've decided I wanted to go into a certain career; but have either struggled with the qualification, hated it or have been told that due to my sight problems, it would not be possible for me to go into a certain career.

Has anyone used the OU careers service? How good are they?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't used the OU service but there is a government one called next steps which has all sorts of online quizzes and things to help you decide and you can meet with a real person as well.

Lots of people don't know exactly what they want to do when they start thier degree so your not alone.

I however wouldn't discount database programming - I think that is a nice link between between the technical world and working with real people - designing systems which work for them.

Also have you seen this page
    Thank you. Will look at those links.
    Have you look in to networking? There are a lot of jobs around in the networking industry, and the networking field is expanding all the time.
    Have you look in to networking? There are a lot of jobs around in the networking industry, and the networking field is expanding all the time.

I've looked at this and it's something that I'm not really that interested in. I'd prefer to work with software. That being said, I have enjoyed the hardware modules that I studied at uni and college.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Melian,

I have no knowledge of the computing industry so won't be able to help with the specific fields you could go into but I wanted to drop by to ask if you have thought about getting some experience? You say you have 4-5 years left of your degree, does any of this studying include a work placement? If not, have you considered doing an internship during one of your holidays? or volunteering in a role that fits around your studies?

With 4-5 years of study left you don't need to worry too much about what career you will go into yet. Many people don't really know what they want to do until many years into their working lives - it can be a case of trial and error, so don't put too much pressure on yourself. The best thing to do is get as much experience as possible and speak to as many people in the industry as possible so you can make an informed decision :)

Good luck, LauraO
    LauraO wrote: »
    :wave: Melian,

I have no knowledge of the computing industry so won't be able to help with the specific fields you could go into but I wanted to drop by to ask if you have thought about getting some experience? You say you have 4-5 years left of your degree, does any of this studying include a work placement?

Thanks Laura. I'm sure I got told that as a part-time student, we don't do work placements.

I have thought about experience and will try to talk to some comapnies about this.

Thank you.:)
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Melian wrote: »
    I have thought about experience and will try to talk to some comapnies about this.

Even though they don't arrange work placements for you, your lecturer or tutor might be able to recommend some companies to approach,so it might be worth having a chat with them.

Good luck and keep us updated!