Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Wireless PS3......Slow Download Speed????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was downloading a game pack for Red Dead Redemption on my PS3 yesterday. It took approximately 6 hours to complete.

The 'add-on' was 1740mb's.

I have an Orange Router (SpeedTouch connection).
I am unsure of what the download speed was as I didn't think about looking at it at the time.

The router is approximately 14' below my PS3 which is in my bedroom. I have a very good signal all the time.

I'm wanting to know why it took so long to download?

If you need any more info please let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MB, not mb - m is mille, or divide by 1000, as opposed to Mega, which is multiply by 1000000; b is bit and B is Byte. All entirely irrelevant really, because I knew what you mean, but in other contexts it can be important.

As to why it took so long... 1¾ GB is quite a big file - 3 cds worth

the main factors that govern the time taken for your download are:
    1. the speed at which your device can store the data
    2. the performance of your LAN
    3. the the speed of your router
    4. the performance of your connection to your ISP
    5. the performance of your ISPs connection to the server's ISP
    6. the performance of the connection between the server's ISP and the server (may include WAN, router and LAN - depending)
    7. the speed at which the server can supply the data

If the patch is new and popular, 6 and 7 are the most likely culprits.
    If you have problems with all downloads, 2 and 3
    If it's sometimes good, and sometimes bad, 4 and 5
    On my PS3 :

Connection Speed (Download) - 1.6 Mbps
    Connection Speed (Upload) - 419.1 Kbps

My mate asked his mate about my problem and he said to check my connection.

My mate has setup as main telephone socket with a phone extension to PS3 and a filter plugged in to the end of the extension with his router and phone. (Hope you understand this lol)

1. Would it make any difference if I have it connected from the router to the PS3??
    2. Would it be worth changing the PS3 internet connection settings? (Although I am worried that I won't get reconnected if I change the settings...But I do have the settings wrote down)
    Well there you go, your download speed is 1.6Mbps (Megabit per second) which is 1/8th of a megabyte,

this means your down connection of 1.6megabits gives you a top end download speed off 200kB/s (kilobytes per second)

1740MB downloaded is about 1781760kB which will take about 8908.8seconds (at max speed) which is about 148.48 minutes which is a little over two hours,

Now bare in mind that the RDR addons are very popular, it seems your average download rate was about 1/3 of that, taking around six hours, thats an avg of around 66.66r kB's

At the end of the day it doesn't seem that bad to me, I mean at the end of the day you've got a slow line speed, 1.6MB is quite slow imo, about the same as HSDPA (mobile 3g 3.5)
    Don't use wireless and you'll get a faster line. But its normal to what Hellfire said.
    Hellfire wrote: »
    this means your down connection of 1.6megabits gives you a top end download speed off 200kB/s (kilobytes per second)

I find using a factor of ten a better estimate when converting between bits per second line speed and bytes of data transferred, so I'd expect the maximum data transfer (after taking into account the protocol overheads) 160kB/s

His transfer wasn't approaching that, so the bottleneck appears to be elsewhere than the between his PS3 and his ISP.

Most likely server load.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I find using a factor of ten a better estimate when converting between bits per second line speed and bytes of data transferred, so I'd expect the maximum data transfer (after taking into account the protocol overheads) 160kB/s

His transfer wasn't approaching that, so the bottleneck appears to be elsewhere than the between his PS3 and his ISP.

Most likely server load.
    I agree with server load. Why do you use a.factor of ten? It's 8bits to a byte.or just because lines never download ay full speed?

Also take into consideration of other devices attached to the broadband.
    My PS3 was never that great on wireless. Get an ethernet over powerline adapter and use that instead.
    I agree with server load. Why do you use a.factor of ten? It's 8bits to a byte.or just because lines never download ay full speed?

Also take into consideration of other devices attached to the broadband.

IP headers, TCP headers, random internet noise
    Ahhh I figured... I was going for the literal, but yes, your right, although saying that I've hit 990kb/s on an 8Mb line.
    Ahhh I figured... I was going for the literal, but yes, your right, although saying that I've hit 990kb/s on an 8Mb line.

10Kb/s per 1Mb/s for TCP overheads when the session is at running at full efficiency doesn't sound too far fetched :)
    hmmm yeah but I was surprised I managed to hit a 990kilobytes per second, when the Max theoretical on a 8Mb line is 1000.
    hmmm yeah but I was surprised I managed to hit a 990kilobytes per second, when the Max theoretical on a 8Mb line is 1000.

8192Kb/s actually :)

VERY rare to achieve about 8000Kb/s though I would have thought.
    according to my router, I connect at 7982Kb/s on my line, my download rate has been strange at times, lmao...

I was very careful to state I was converting between bits per second line speed and bytes of data transferred. But then this sort of shizzle is my job.