Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Doing an A Level in your own time?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have to be looking into sixth form/colleges now ready for september next year and I reallywant to stay at my current school now.
They don't offer the course I want to do, which is Photography. (In fact they don't have a wide range of courses just the basics - but I don't care)
My mums forcing me to go to a sixth form in the next town which is meant to be a really good place to do photography as they have this 'amazing' dark room and stuff but I do not want to go there...

So is it possible for me to stay at my current school but outside of school do an extra a-level?
:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there any reason you *need* an A-level in photography?
    Its what I want to do later on and it'll be helpful to get an understanding and wider knowledge on it before I go into that work without a clue...
    Reason I ask is that maybe you could look into doing an evening class or something in it :) which wouldn't necessarily be towards an A-level but you'd still get experience.

What is making you want to stay at your current school so much? You said that your current school only do the 'basic' subjects - is there something else you'd prefer to do but only the other sixth form runs?
    You can do A levels at evening school, photography is very popular now so i am sure you will find a local college running a course.
    Good luck
    If you really wanted to do Photography surely you would want to go to the best place for you to get the A-Level.

Also bear in mind you might be better off doing a BTech (do they still exisit?) or something similar.

I have a friend who is a photographer and who did a BTech after GCSE's.
    It's just me being fussy and wanting to stay where I am, and I wouldn't be able to fit in at that school anyway.
    The reason I want to stay is because it is small, and i love the enviroment because I know all my teachers and can get on with them really well and I just love what I have there..

And I'll talk to my connextions advisor to see if he has any more information, wanted to make sure it was something I could do before I asked :)