Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

job assesment/interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a job interview tomorrow at pets at home ( my ideal line of work). but is a group assesment and is 2 hours long, i am scared about my health and if i will ok for that long on my own, and never been to a interview that long or to a group assesment and what it involves.

has anybody done one before?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think group assements are all about weeding out the ones that are really not suited to the particular post, i guess they are looking for several people.
    I have never been to one either but i guess as its for a shop if you dress well and are seen to be confident and out going then you will be half way there.
    Perhaps there will be some sort or test just to check you have the basic skills.
    Just try to have a couple of decent questions in mind in case of awkward silences.
    Good luck with it and keep us posted.
    i have an interview tomorrow...please can anyone provide me tips that how to give interview.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sinead1992,

Firstly, congratulations on getting an interview, that’s great news :d .

I have not had very much experience of group interviews and I am sure other users will be able to give you some first-hand advice, but hopefully some of this will help.

Group interviews are usually done for two reasons; firstly because it is easier for the company to speak to lots of potential employees at one time rather than individually and secondly so they can see how you interact and communicate with other people. It is likely that they will give you all information about the role and the company and then ask you to do some group tasks or activities which they will observe.

The main thing to remember is to be confident, friendly to the other interviewees and interviewers and to make sure you get the opportunity to speak during the group activities but equally to listen to others whilst they speak. It would also be good to do some research on the company before you go to the interview and to prepare some questions you may like to ask if you are given the opportunity.

All group interviews will be slightly different, so no one can tell you exactly what will happen, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It is understandable that you will be nervous about the interview but if you feel uncomfortable or anxious you can always talk to someone about it. Have you thought about asking someone to take you to the interview and/or accompany you home so you're not by yourself for too long?

Remember the interviewers are not trying to trick you or make you feel uncomfortable. The fact that they offered you an interview means they can see your potential, so go and be yourself and try to enjoy the experience.

Wishing you the best of luck for tomorrow :thumb: please let us know how you get on!

LauraO
    Hi Annie89,
    Welcome to the boards :wave:
    You didn't say whether the interview you are going to tomorrow is a group interview like Sinead1992's or whether it is an individual interview. But the information I just posted above might help you too.

Also, these articles will help you prepare:
    Preparing for a job interview
    Job interview tips

and you might also find this (quite funny) video about body language at interviews helpful too.

Good luck tomorrow, and let us know how you get on :)
    Laura
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hi Sinead1992,

Firstly, congratulations on getting an interview, that’s great news :d .

I have not had very much experience of group interviews and I am sure other users will be able to give you some first-hand advice, but hopefully some of this will help.

Group interviews are usually done for two reasons; firstly because it is easier for the company to speak to lots of potential employees at one time rather than individually and secondly so they can see how you interact and communicate with other people. It is likely that they will give you all information about the role and the company and then ask you to do some group tasks or activities which they will observe.

The main thing to remember is to be confident, friendly to the other interviewees and interviewers and to make sure you get the opportunity to speak during the group activities but equally to listen to others whilst they speak. It would also be good to do some research on the company before you go to the interview and to prepare some questions you may like to ask if you are given the opportunity.

All group interviews will be slightly different, so no one can tell you exactly what will happen, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It is understandable that you will be nervous about the interview but if you feel uncomfortable or anxious you can always talk to someone about it. Have you thought about asking someone to take you to the interview and/or accompany you home so you're not by yourself for too long?

Remember the interviewers are not trying to trick you or make you feel uncomfortable. The fact that they offered you an interview means they can see your potential, so go and be yourself and try to enjoy the experience.

Wishing you the best of luck for tomorrow :thumb: please let us know how you get on!

LauraO

thanks for the info very helpful, but not doing the interview now as strugging with health and is too far to walk for me is 30 mins, and if i did get the job there is no way i wouold be able to walk that much twice a day, have to think about my health and is my mine concern at the moment, need to go for one in the center as is on ly 5 mins walk and have applied for a few in my local shopping center
    sinead1992 wrote: »
    thanks for the info very helpful, but not doing the interview now as strugging with health and is too far to walk for me is 30 mins, and if i did get the job there is no way i wouold be able to walk that much twice a day, have to think about my health and is my mine concern at the moment, need to go for one in the center as is on ly 5 mins walk and have applied for a few in my local shopping center

Thanks ok, hope this info will be helpful for your next interview too.

It sounds like you made a decision which is very sensible for you right now, as only you know what you can and cannot manage. Good luck in continuing your search, the shopping centre sounds like an ideal place to job hunt as it's very convenient for you :)
    Keep us updated!