Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

child working tax credits and cash in hand?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my partner is doing 16hrs a week and gets 50£ a week
is he able to claim cwt with being paid cash in hand??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i don't think so, no but i could be wrong.

16 hours a week for £50? so he is being paid just over £3 an hour? thats almost half of the min wage. what is his job?!!!!! he shouldn't be being paid so little.

also, its illegal for employers to pay their employees cash in hand. as he is being cash in hand, he won't be paying tax or making national insurance contributions. therefore, your partner won't be able to claim working tax credits because technically he isn't recognised as being employed!
    it's a friend buisness just started

i didnt think u get taxed at 50£
    lil_krissy wrote: »
    i didnt think u get taxed at 50£

That's correct - you don't get taxed at £50 per week.
    Cash in hand = tax evasion = illegal.
    regardless of if you pay tax on that or not he still hasn't declared it. so still illegal. especially if your claiming other benefits, JSA? etc etc.
    You can work up to 16 hours a week on JSA- which i guess is why he is doing so few hours - but you have to declare what you earn and they deduct it off of your weekly ammount - so if you get £50 a week they take that out of your jsa and then just top you up the extra £15 to make it £65 a week which is what the government have decided is the minimum ammount one needs to live on a week.
    we went to jsa and they said they wouldnt help cz its not a job found from the job centre
    Wyetry wrote: »
    You can work up to 16 hours a week on JSA- which i guess is why he is doing so few hours - but you have to declare what you earn and they deduct it off of your weekly ammount - so if you get £50 a week they take that out of your jsa and then just top you up the extra £15 to make it £65 a week which is what the government have decided is the minimum ammount one needs to live on a week.

You can keep the first £5 - £20 - this depends on your circumstances.
    Is he declaring his earnings? is he getting a pay slip, is he classed as employed? self employed? or is it a simple case of he gets paid by this companies petty cash, has he informed HMRC he is not unemployed,

If not... then he definitely doesn't deserve any benefits, it's benefit fraud, he isn't declaring his earnings.
    yeah he gets wage slips
    Then he isn't working cash in hand, is he. okay he gets paid in cash but thats different.

Contact HMRC or Citizens Advice to work out which benefits he may receive.