Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wireless connected - browser not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone,

I'm hoping someone will know whats going on with my netbook. I've got a HP Mini Netbook which runs windows 7 starter and has norton on it (which I cant open at the moment nor get to work). Recently whenever its done an update like a standard microsoft one the browser has hten stopped working, even though its connected. Previously system restore has worked, now it doesnt appear to. The troubleshooter keeps telling me there are no connection problems and its showing up as connected to my wireless so what is going on? Can anyone give me any advice? PLEASE?

Comments

• Options
    I think we'll need for information on how exactly the browser stops working, it is that it won't load at all? In that case, my initial action would be to check the icon used to launch the web brower wasn't being affected by updates.
  • Options
    I think we'll need for information on how exactly the browser stops working, it is that it won't load at all? In that case, my initial action would be to check the icon used to launch the web brower wasn't being affected by updates.

Hey there,

Well when I click my Google Chrome button itopens and says: "The Web Page might be temporarily down or moved etc" and itdoes this for ALL webpages. In IE itjust says it cant connect.

When I search for a solution as it reccomends it comes up saying that its all clear and fine. The Wireless icon in the bottom right shows a full connection and the wireless is working on this laptop so its not that. I'm lost as to what to do! :banghead:
  • Options
    Open a command prompt (Start Button > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt). When you see a retro 80s black window appear, type "ping www.google.co.uk" without the quotes and press ENTER. If you get 4 readings with miliseconds, then your machine is mostly functioning ok and it's Chrome that's at fault. If you get a message saying unable to connect, then it's a wider problem then Chrome.
  • Options
    Possibly a DNS issue, when it next stops working, try putting http://173.194.36.104 in the address bar and see if Google loads. If that works, then that proves that it is a DNS issue. To solve the DNS issue you would need to set a DNS server in your network settings, follow this guide http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-set-Google-DNS-and-OpenDNS-in-Windows-7
  • Options
    Have you tried unplugging and plugging again?
    :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Poppins27 wrote: »
    Have you tried unplugging and plugging again?
    :crazyeyes

How would you unplug a wireless connection? :p
  • Options
    Try disabling all your plugins in IE and see if that helps? Sometimes, the browser add-ons can cause issues like this.

Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons