Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

work from home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i would like to work from home as my parents have always done it and would think it would be better for my health, but dont know how to do it or where to start. or what to do

Comments

• Options
    FizFiz Deactivated Posts: 44 Boards Initiate
    Hi sinead1992, if your going for job where the normal place of work is from home it usually states this in the advertisement for that job. If you are really keen on this idea why not ask your parents more about what it is they do that allows them to work from home and get their advice. Of course though there are pros and cons to working from home so be sure to have considered all these before you dismiss any other jobs where you are not working from home. I hope it all works out - take care, Fiz
  • Options
    Fiz wrote: »
    Hi sinead1992, if your going for job where the normal place of work is from home it usually states this in the advertisement for that job. If you are really keen on this idea why not ask your parents more about what it is they do that allows them to work from home and get their advice. Of course though there are pros and cons to working from home so be sure to have considered all these before you dismiss any other jobs where you are not working from home. I hope it all works out - take care, Fiz

well i have not seen any jobs that state working from home, was thinking of doing my own thing, cant get advice of parents as dont talk to them, and would like to work full time in a job but working from home seems to be the easiest option for me as will be easier with the way my health is and i will be able to work around the medical appiontments. i am looking to start up own business maybe but dont know what, i am instrested in animals, dancing and health market and improving it
  • Options
    I've been doing some voluntary work from home recently. It's good as I can have a lie in and can do work in my pyjamas. I too have health problems and there are pros and cons to working from home. I also do some voluntary work that is out of the house and it's good for meeting new people and having routine. I got my from home voluntary job as my friend works for a charity and she had some work that I could do from home so she asked me to do it and she e-mails me the work and I e-mail it back. So far it's mostly been spreadsheet related work and research using the internet.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I've been doing some voluntary work from home recently. It's good as I can have a lie in and can do work in my pyjamas. I too have health problems and there are pros and cons to working from home. I also do some voluntary work that is out of the house and it's good for meeting new people and having routine. I got my from home voluntary job as my friend works for a charity and she had some work that I could do from home so she asked me to do it and she e-mails me the work and I e-mail it back. So far it's mostly been spreadsheet related work and research using the internet.

i have been doing some research and looking for ideas but just cant seem to find anthing
  • Options
    You can do telesales and telephone customer support from home.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Sinead1992,

Just seen that Fiz has given you some information about the pros and cons of working from home which will definitely help you think about your decision. There is also this really useful article on direct.gov about homeworking and the things you need to consider.

It sounds as though you are exploring the idea of working for yourself too, which is definitely an option. Lots of people turn hobbies into businesses, but it needs some thought first, and this section of Lifetracks.com might help.

Just a word of warning as well that there are quite a lot of scam jobs being advertised for people to work at home, especially those that ask for money upfront or a registration fee. If you are unsure about any of them then do your research and speak to someone at the company before applying.

There are also websites such as www.remoteemployment.com which specifically advertise jobs which are home based.

Good luck with your search :)
    Laura
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    Hi Sinead1992,

Just seen that Fiz has given you some information about the pros and cons of working from home which will definitely help you think about your decision. There is also this really useful article on direct.gov about homeworking and the things you need to consider.

It sounds as though you are exploring the idea of working for yourself too, which is definitely an option. Lots of people turn hobbies into businesses, but it needs some thought first, and this section of Lifetracks.com might help.

Just a word of warning as well that there are quite a lot of scam jobs being advertised for people to work at home, especially those that ask for money upfront or a registration fee. If you are unsure about any of them then do your research and speak to someone at the company before applying.

There are also websites such as www.remoteemployment.com which specifically advertise jobs which are home based.

Good luck with your search :)
    Laura

thanks i looked at the website but seems to be all catalouge jobs and got ripped of doing that, i am wanting to open own business, maybe from one my hobbies like dance center or animals center, or doing somthing from my experiances in life like somthing to do with health as i strugge with long term conditions and disabilty, but dont know where to start and no one to help me
  • Options
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

thanks, already contacted them
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Did you see this page on Lifetracks about Starting your own business? The What's Next box at the bottom of the article is a good place to start and gives you info on people who can help with the first steps. It recommends speaking to an advisor at Business Link.

Prince's Trust is also a great place to start, as Katralla says. It might be a good idea to get a Mentor (which The Prince's Trust will be able to help you with) or you could find someone yourself who has experience in setting up their own business and can give you advice.
  • Options
    There are many regulations concerning this point like : Health & Safety at Work Act (1974), the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (1999) the Health and Safety Display Screen Equipment (1992).

You need to respect all that (or ensure that your employer respects all that).

There is also some tax implications but related also to your employer. Check it if you are the first to work from home for your employer.

Good luck in your hunt