Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Understanding relationships and yourself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I guess that the title is ok. I just wanted to check that it isn't just me that thinks relationships with others are sometimes tricky to understand. And sometimes it's hard to understand yourself !

As far as I can tell there are many aspects to relationships with others, but then there's also the relationship you have with yourself like self esteem, confidence, your own qualities.

What are the main parts to relationships with others and also yourself ?

I've been on a personal development journey building my own confidence and esteem after being unwell at university.

I think relationships with others are important, but can also be disappointing and they can have a big impact on your life eg bullying in my case.

Maybe it's just a constant learning journey as you go through life both about yourself and others.

Just wondering if people have any thoughts on the vast subject that is other people - love, unrequited love, friends, family, bullying, loss, companionship.....as social beings there are many aspects to it all I guess both positive and negative and probably many different aspects

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I think most people would agree that relationships with others can be tricky and difficult to understand - and that understanding and managing yourself and your emotions can be equally hard to get to grips with!
    mark1984 wrote: »
    Just wondering if people have any thoughts on the vast subject that is other people - love, unrequited love, friends, family, bullying, loss, companionship.....as social beings there are many aspects to it all I guess both positive and negative and probably many different aspects

This question is so enormous I wonder if, in a way, the answer is the boards themselves. All over these forums are hundreds of peoples' thoughts on every aspect of those issues you have mentioned. Perhaps, instead of asking a really big question like this, it would be interesting to start a discussion on one aspect of this area - for example - 'what are the things you value most about yourself?' or, like you have put, 'what are the most important aspects of your relationships with others?'.

Its great to hear you have been building your confidence and self esteem. I would certainly agree that you are constantly learning things throughout life - about yourself, about your relationships and about other people. And then, when you think you have got it all sorted out, a whole different element to life that you didn't even know existed turns up and knocks you sideways - and then you have to try and work out how to deal with that too! But (to continue with the journey metaphor), every step of the way and every new challenge helps you learn more about yourself and how to deal with things. And talking about the problems you face and the things you learn can help you think things through for yourself and also help others see things in new ways.

:)
  • Options
    All relationships between people carry a magic- beyond what words can describe. Got to have in person contact to feel it..........not through the screen or phone. Managing relationships require deep centres of the brain............the hunch. Everyone needs a good spread of relationships for emotional wellbeing. Always difficult people about hence need enough supportive meaningful relationships all round
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I agree it's a massive massive topic and one that you are probably always learning about.

maybe as you say the boards are the answer.
  • Options
    I once read that the more you know yourself, the more you know humanity.
    *hug*
    It's true that when you think you've figured things out, something new hits you. :shocking:
    We are always just adapting to new situations, good or bad situations. We never get really stable at all. That seems scary but even the Earth is constantly moving. Things change and so does relationships. :thumb: