Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Studies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey all
I've got a bit of work due in for film studies next week and I'm really struggling to get it done, its not actually writing anyhting its more finding sources to use and this is damn hard for me as I have no idea where to look for stuff like this.

The sources I need are about Danny Boyle and 3 of his films, I've chosen Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and Slumdog Millionaire, its actually driving me MENTAL as I need sources in the forms of books, Magazines and Internet articles, if anyone could help me with this it would be great seen as I'm really struggling to get it done
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try Jstor, google books, sight and sound, empire
    What sort of stuff are you after? I have no idea about film studies so help me out :p

I mean just from picking slumdog millionaire and having a google I found a load of stuff like What do real slumdogs think of Slumdog Millionaire? and Slumdog Symphony: A Chat with Danny Boyle - Political Punch
    What information are you needing specifically, s&s are usually v good but any of what lexi said
    Yeah Sight and Sound is good.
    There should also be some magazine publications in your college/uni library so I recommend putting some time aside to delve through them.
    As for internet articles... there is the British Film Institute that could be useful. Maybe something from The Culture Show with Mark Kermode...? (A film critic).
    Senses Of Cinema is another online set of articles that just sprang to mind.

Also, if you find a good book or article with a bibliography then look up authors from there and it will just go on and on and on (trust me, you usually end up with too much rather than not enough)
    Your uni should have a section for film journals, which should include the likes of Film Quarterly, Sight and Sound, Camera Obscura and Cahiers du Cinema (have to speak French for that last one though). I wouldn't venture into popular magazines like Empire, because they're not really concerned with the academic study of film. They also don't have indexes, so it's difficult to find articles you're looking for, whereas the film journals are usually bound together into a proper book.. Other than that, just go through all of the indexes in the library book and look for the titles and director that you want.

Here's a full list of film journals.