Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Periods, swimming and tampons

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could do with a little advise please:

I've started swimming and have been told that if I want to swim whilst on, I should use a tampon. I have never used tampons before. I've tried several times to use them; but can't manage to insert them.

Are there any alternatives? Is there an easy way to insert them? I have instructions on how to use them; but I really can't follow the instructions. (maybe because it's mostly pictures and I'm partially sighted)

ETA: I had some blood this morning around 9am. It's now almost 5.55pm; but have had nothing all day. Is this normal? Am I ok to go swimming without anything?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Depends how heavy your flow is. Apparently some people find that when swimming/in the bath they don't have any leakage so it isn't really a problem for them going without. Personally I don't fall into that category, but if you've had nothing since this morning then I'd guess you'd be alright, but only you know your body.

Obviously I wouldn't try it in a light coloured swim suit/bikini.

As for learning to use tampons, I'd imagine a quick google would find you some instructions online. My suggestions would be:
    1. to try buying the compact ones, they've got a plastic applicator which is slidier
    2. Use mini's or ultra light or whatever they happen to be called, in tampax they're a purple packet, they are apparently easier for first timers
    3. It's easiest when your flow is heaviest
    4. You need to point the tampon diagonally backwards, towards the small of your back rather than vertically up, it's surprisingly close to horizontal if you've got vertical on your mind.
    5. The instructions that come with the packet suggest a squatting position, or with one leg up on the toilet seat, whichever you go for make sure you're stable - if you're worried about wobbling you'll never manage
    6. Make sure you vaguely know which bit of your anatomy you're aiming for, if you masturbate and finger yourself then its pretty simple, if not you might want to have a feel around or look with a mirror before trying to poke anything else up there.
    if you've had nothing since this morning then I'd guess you'd be alright, but only you know your body.

I was thinking this too. I've had some discharge; but it's been a tiny amount.
    Hmm like Scary Monster said, it depends where you are in your cycle, how much you're expecting to bleed, only you know that.

As for the tampon thing, why not go to the doctors and she can show you how to put one in, or you could try a mooncup, but i think theyre more complicated than tampons.
    I use a mooncup and it's the best discovery I've made. It's definitely changed my life! Granted, I haven't gone swimming with one yet but I'd take it over tampons anyday. I hate tampons.
    Jaloux wrote: »
    I use a mooncup and it's the best discovery I've made. It's definitely changed my life! Granted, I haven't gone swimming with one yet but I'd take it over tampons anyday. I hate tampons.

i find the mooncup easier to use than tampons too. i have been swimming with mine, it was fine.
    Are mooncups worth paying the £20 odd for? I've had a quick look and they do seem better than tampons and towels.
    Melian wrote: »
    Are mooncups worth paying the £20 odd for? I've had a quick look and they do seem better than tampons and towels.

I've saved so much money since buying mine. It was totally worth it for me, not to mention the benefits of convenience which in itself was worth the cost.

I have heard that not all people like it and it is strange to get used to but almost right from the start I loved it. It took me a few times to dare to cut off the thing to pull it out but it did chafe me a bit and now that's done with.
    i have a mooncup too. I wouldnt say its easier to insert than a tampon, in fact if you struggle with tampons, id hold off getting a mooncup, but for everyone else I think theyre great and much more convenient than tampons
    Can mooncups cause toxic shock syndrome like tampons?
    grace wrote: »
    Can mooncups cause toxic shock syndrome like tampons?

The Mooncup website says:
    Menstrual cups have never been associated with toxic shock syndrome.

From - http://www.mooncup.co.uk/about-the-mooncup/benefits.html

As someone who has had never had sex, are tampons and mooncups harder to insert? I know it does take practise and have been told that some women never get on with tampons.
    Heyy I know this is from a month ago, but thought it be okay to still post?

I don't like tampons much either, but I find tampax pearl are the easiest to insert. Once you've put in a tampon you shouldn't be able to feel it. If you can, then try moving it a little, but if it's still uncomfortable then take it out.

You could go on the pill to stop your periods? In the first few weeks you may get some heavy bleeding due to hormone change, but after that you can just run your packs together and be period free :D x
    you can just run your packs together and be period free :D x

Just to add - get some advice from your Doctor or nurse if you have any quetions about taking the pill and/or running packs back to back, as it's not always the best option for everyone :)
    Harry23 wrote: »
    Just to add - get some advice from your Doctor or nurse if you have any quetions about taking the pill and/or running packs back to back, as it's not always the best option for everyone :)

Sorry :/