Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Leaky Guy Syndrome, Joint Pain & Probiotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last few months I've been having some health issues mainly to do with pain / clicking in my joints. I know how highly this website forum gets indexed by search engines and so I wanted to pass on my findings and experience to yourselves and others on the internet that might come across this post.

The main reason for posting is to help raise awareness of a condition I've come across online called Leaky Gut Syndrome. I've done a search on this forum and I've only seen it mentioned once and that was 6 years ago, so I felt it was my duty to post and let some of you know about it, so that you can then do some research of your own and maybe decide if this is something that affects yourself or people you know.

The Theory Behind it is that your body is basically a closed system, but you open up your system to breath, eat and drink. The leaky gut part refers to your digestive system which acts like a sort of filter, allowing things like nutrients, vitamins, etc to pass into your body whilst sending the waste along it's way and eventually out of your system.

In Leaky Gut basically what happens is that your intestines allow the wrong kind of things to pass from the food and drink you consume into the rest of your system and in turn your body's immune system goes a bit haywire and starts turning on itself .. conditions where your body turn on itself are called autoimmune diseases.

Leaky Gut Syndrome also causes the intestinal lining to become inflamed and the microvilli become damaged or altered. The damaged microvilli cannot then produce the necessary enzymes and secretions that are essential for a healthy digestion and the absorption of nutrients.

There is loads of information online about Leaky Guy Syndrome - just type it in a search engine and you'll get back lots to read about and lots of videos as well about it on YouTube.

This Video on YouTube taken from a Radio show explains it quite well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UocLBhPBrgg&feature=related

There's another video I'm going to try and find that was good as well.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The following page list a whole bunch of conditions related to auto immune problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoimmune_disease

http://www.leakygut.co.uk/symptoms.htm

Below you can find a list of conditions that have been linked with Leaky Gut Syndrome:

Celiac disease
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Autism
    Fibromyalgia
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    Eczema
    Dermatitis
    Ulcerative Colitis
    Candidiasis
    Chronic hepatitis
    Asthma
    Chemotherapy
    Cystic Fibrosis
    Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
    Accelerated Aging
    Endotoxemia

Colon cancer
    Crohn's disease
    Food allergies
    Giardia
    Arthritis
    Pancreatic dysfunction
    Hives
    Acne
    AIDS
    Alcoholism
    Anyklosing spondylitis
    Inflammatory bowel disease
    Liver dysfunction
    Malnutrition
    Psoriasis
    Schizophrenia
    Alcoholism
    OK, so now I've posted to let you know about Leaky Gut and what conditions it might affect.

Now this is my take on the whole thing - as far as I am concerned - I only found out about Leaky Gut Syndrome about two weeks ago .. and to be honest it was like a light-bulb going off in my head.

I have relatives with who have suffered or died from several things on the list above. So I was more then curious to try and figure out if what they had may be related to leaky gut syndrome.

What I've done since finding out about leaky gut is to start taking probiotics first thing in the morning. I got some sachets from Boots which you mix with water and have 4 Billion Good Bacteria in them and take 2 of them in the morning on an empty stomach.

I've also going on the theory that I've not been getting enough of the right kind of nutrients and so taking some other supplements whilst hopefully the probiotics build up over time but I can say that in approx a week or so of doing all of this I've been noticing improvements in my joints

I hope this information is useful to some of you, I'll post some more information links but please do post if you think you might have leaky gut syndrome and what course of action you plant o take next ;)
    smells like bullshit to me
    Chemotherapy is a condition these days?

Regardless of that, the best advice I can ever give is to never take a diagnosis from a website trying to sell you the treatment.
    DG wrote: »
    Leaky Guy Syndrome

I wasn't sure, reading the header, whether this was incontinence or pre-ejaculate. ;)

Having done a bit of nosing about myself, this theoretical syndrome seems to wobble on the edges of being a 'fad' diagnosis but it's probably worth investigating given your condition. Anything that can help has to be okay on a personal level.
    Thanks for that - corrected the spelling.

This is the post I found here from 6 years ago

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=863827&postcount=2

so it's certainly not a brand new fad...

Basically for me the theory is saying what you eat can be a major factor in your health,

I'm just posting to help raise awareness of something which seems to be helping me right now. Since taking probiotics I'm having a lot less pain and much less clicking in my joints in a very short space of time .. if this information helps even one person then it was worth posting.
    MoK wrote: »

Regardless of that, the best advice I can ever give is to never take a diagnosis from a website trying to sell you the treatment.

Certainly for myself - I've Researched this from multiple resources not just a single place and yes I also believe it's important to find information from sources that have nothing to sell you.
    Links to other sources? I will be looking for evidence base...

Especially when you consider that Dr Andrew Wakefield used it as part of his [completely disproved] MMR/Autism paper
    MoK wrote: »
    ... I will be looking for evidence base....

Cool.. I look forward to hearing the results of your looking .. Let us know what you find.
    Have you seen a doctor about this?
    Have you seen a doctor about this?

Not sure which bit you're referring to but did the standard doctor's treatment of taking antibiotics for quite some time.. which did help a bit, however one thing I realised later was the actual antibiotics were a combined pill which also contain 5 Billion Probiotic Bacteria per tablet.

These don't say anything about leaky gut sundrome, do they? And what the hell is the girl wearing in that movie, did she not realise she was being filmed?
    This is the post I found here from 6 years ago

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showpost.php?p=863827&postcount=2

so it's certainly not a brand new fad...

Apologies. I didn't mean to imply that it was 'brand new'. It's just the limited 'noseing around' that I did, indicated that 'leaky gut syndrome' is still very much in the 'theory' stage.
    Basically for me the theory is saying what you eat can be a major factor in your health,

Oh, I think almost everyone would agree with you there, regardless. Food is what fuels the body and any incorrect fuel will not be beneficial.
    I'm just posting to help raise awareness of something which seems to be helping me right now. Since taking probiotics I'm having a lot less pain and much less clicking in my joints in a very short space of time .. if this information helps even one person then it was worth posting.

Point taken but you should know us miserable, cynical lot. We just have to pick things apart. :p;)

Regarding probiotics, I have found them to be very beneficial during and after an illness which has required taking antibiotics. I swear that I have recovered in less time than normal. :)
    Came across these links today - where Leaky Gut is mentioned (in the radio segment)

The Radio segment on the BBC was featuring a Doctor that did clinical studies into Nutrition and Arthritis

http://www.allergiesexplained.com/25-Milk-is-an-occasional-cause-of-arthritis.htm

http://www.notmilk.com/forum/798.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme_20060528.shtml
    (You need real Media Player to listen to the Radio segment)
    DG, can I ask what your original symptoms were and if the Docs gave you an actual diagnosis.. As a sufferer of dibilitating arthritis I certainly wouldn't rely on these things, I cannot even move without pin meds, but who am I to say it doesn't work for you??
    Cheers