Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

"Three-year wait for mental health counsellors across UK"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We were talking about this in chat....

(Article here)

Any views on this?

There aren't many (any?) areas of healthcare where a 3 year wait would be acceptable, and I think it is time that perhaps mental health is seen in the same way as other physical problems, i.e. things can get worse if left untreated.

I think that considering a lot of people start to get symptoms at a young age, improvements to these services should really be prioritised. I understand cuts are being made in all areas, but I think early intervention by improving services would save money, but more importantly, lives.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think signs that people in some areas can and do get very quick access, is promising that the situation can and is being taken seriously in some areas. It does however need to improve in a lot of others. The areas where it is working proves that it is possible.

I think you are right when you say it isn't taken as seriously as it should be, and when it is then a lot of things should start falling into place a lot easier.
    Mental Health needs huge investment. HUGE. The sort of investment which brought about all the change in the usual health services.

It wasn't an accident that waiting times for GPs and COnsultant treatments dropped from approx 2 years (just to see a Cons) in 1997 to treatment within 18 weeks today. Investment in services, investment in the people who make such changes a reality. That's both clinicians and managers.

It also needs to have targets applied (as is the case in the IAPT programme for counselling) because they do actually focus minds on what can be achieved.

Ain't gonna happen in this economy. Not unless the worried well stop clogging up other services and spending the funds which are already in the health economy.
    i had this on my facebook for the longest time.

personally i am outraged.
    I'm not surprised that things are this bad to be honest.
    MoK wrote: »
    Mental Health needs huge investment. HUGE. The sort of investment which brought about all the change in the usual health services.

It wasn't an accident that waiting times for GPs and COnsultant treatments dropped from approx 2 years (just to see a Cons) in 1997 to treatment within 18 weeks today. Investment in services, investment in the people who make such changes a reality. That's both clinicians and managers.

It also needs to have targets applied (as is the case in the IAPT programme for counselling) because they do actually focus minds on what can be achieved.

Ain't gonna happen in this economy. Not unless the worried well stop clogging up other services and spending the funds which are already in the health economy.

Do you think 18 weeks is an acceptable time? What kind of consultant treatments is that for? Are they working to make that even shorter? (Just curious, not digging)
    In an ideal world, no 18 weeks is too long. I'd much rather it was about a month (allowing for diagnostics etc) but given that ten years ago that same treatment wait would have been nearly five years, it's a marked improvement that I can live with.

If I'm honest then I'd say that it;s now a case of poor inefficient system management that causes the delays in treatment. There's more than enough capacity to treat quicker.

And, FYI, that's is 18 week from referral to any intial treatment - but target is England only. It's different in Wales and Scotland (longer) and that's the price they pay for free prescriptions.