Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Slow startup at POST/BIOS screen

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Hello all, 2 problems in as many days. This morning my HDD failed. Luckily plugging it into another SATA port on the motherboard got it working again (weirdly). Now however the boot up at POST/BIOS is taking forever. Before it would take a couple of seconds but now it's close to a minute.

At first I thought it was because the failure of the drive was making the PC try and boot off other drives first (I have a second internal drive for my software/photos/e.t.c.) so I ensured the PC is set to attempt boot in the following order

Windows Drive (C:/)
Secondary Drive
CD-ROM
Floppy

Nothing has changed from when I installed the second drive some months ago except I moved CD-ROM and Floppy further down the list.

My questions are, firstly what caused the SATA port to fail and how do I fix it? Secondly, how do I get the speed at POST back to normal. I thought it might have been the disk transfer rates but I've just finished some diagnostics and copying some files and the transfers seem fine.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the SATA port won't work, the only way to fix it is by replacing the motherboard. And the BIOS taking ages to boot up, again, could be caused by a failing mobo. If the drive is working fine [by running integrity programs on it, to test all aspects of the drive] then it's most likely your mobo. Also for good measure, restore your BIOS to default, see if that makes a change. Then set your BIOS back to what you want.
  • Options
    Cheers, the mobo not working is a fear, it's the only thing I have no idea how to replace.
    I forgot to mention, the DVD writer won't work now either, it's completely dead. No power to it.
    Tried swapping the cables with the HDD, the HDD works still but the DVD refuses to play ball. Argh.
  • Options
    Slow bios startup is normally because it can't find a device. Is everything powered.
  • Options
    Just replaced the DVD writer and everything is back to normal. Weird.