Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Removing makeup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have recently taken to wearing a full face of slap. Putting it on is fine but I'm not liking taking it off, am using fragrance free baby wipes but it still stings to buggery. What do you use?

Comments

• Options
    I shower at night so have never worried about it... unless I'm too smashed, but who cares about wearing makeup to the floor then anyways ;)

Wouldn't just giving your face a wash and lotion do the trick, why with all the fancy makeup removers?
  • Options
    have you tried Simple face wipes?
    They work wonders :)
    to get my make up off I use their Cleanser, Toner & Moisteriser
    and before hand I use their exfoliating wipes - not as good as their normal face wipes but still good.
    They also have pads to remove your eye make up and they're very good to.
  • Options
    I have always used Johnsons baby lotion, the pink one.
    Its very effective and gentle plus it leave my skin feeling very soft.
    If i can be bothered i use exfoliating wipes from time to time.
  • Options
    I think I have sensitive skin, most things sting... drat. Will try baby lotion next though.
  • Options
    I find rubbing olive oil into the skin then wiping off with a wet warm cloth is great at removing make up. I have oily skin and it doesn't make my skin oilier. I can't imagine it hurting sensitive skin as it's so soft and not stripping at all.
  • Options
    I use Simple cleansing lotion and Simple eye make up remover on cotton wool pads. Then I wash my face with water and a flannel as well.
  • Options
    Only thing that has ever worked for me is Lush Ultra Bland. You rub it on and then wipe it off with cotton wool soaked in warm water. Never found anything else like it :hyper:
  • Options
    i just either sleep with it on, or wash it off with soap/facewash/handwash/showergel and water
  • Options
    Simple face wipes, or whatevers on offer but I prefer them.
  • Options
    I personally use any cream that I have and then water. But I found this that helped me, on the web.
    Kind regards!

To properly remove makeup, all you need is a proper cleanser for face and eye makeup remover. The goal is not to rub your face raw and don't forget to wash into the hairline and jawline, especially if you use foundation. Here are some answers to your biggest burning questions.
    Must I Wash My Face Before I Go to Bed?

Ummm, yes, especially if you have makeup on your face. If you want to wake up with dewy, glowing skin, then you must remove your makeup and sunscreen.
    Do I Need Toner?

Many women use toner because they feel it removes all traces of dirt, oil and makeup, however, most beauty experts agree that toners are unnecessary. Most cleansers these days do a great job of removing all the muck from even the heaviest of your makeup days. While toner will strip your skin of any makeup, it also removes natural oils, which can be drying. Unless you have super oily skin or just happen to love a product, skip the toner.
    Can I Use Baby Wipes?

No, no, no, says beauty expert Laura Mercier in the January 2008 issue of Allure Magazine. "I cringe when I see women using baby wipes to remove their makeup. Those do not get the job done."
    Women think baby wipes are formulated to be gentle on baby's skin, so therefore it will be gentle on facial skin, Mercier says. Her response to women who think baby wipes are gentle? "Well, a baby's butt isn't covered in makeup that requires special ingredients for proper removal."

'Nuff said.

I Have Super Dry Skin, How Do I Remove Makeup Without Drying It Out More?

Choose your cleanser based on your skin type. If you have super dry skin, consider a cleansing oil. Mercier suggests swiping the oil across lids, lips, face and brows, then massaging it in. This loosens dirt and makeup. Take a square cotton pad with oil on it and wipe over skin, being careful not to tug and pull.
    Wash skin with a foaming or gel cleanser, and rinse off the cleanser with a warm washcloth, which works to exfoliate skin. Follow with a moisturizer applied to still damp skin.

If you have oily skin, consider a foaming cleanser instead of the oil.

What's the Best Way to Remove Waterproof Mascara?

Use a special eye makeup remover on your eyes if you use waterproof mascara (my hands down favorite: Clinique). Apply remover to a square cotton pad, then press down on eyelids and lashes to let it soak in. Gently wipe the pad across eyes to pick up mascara. Go over the eye area with a clean pad until it's makeup-free. (This keeps your towels from getting makeup on them).
    Extra tip: Eye makeup remover works great on lips to remove long-lasting lip color, as well.

Should I Wash My Face Again in the Morning?

Your face doesn't get dirty from sleeping on a clean pillowcase, so there's really no need to wash again in the morning. In fact, too much cleansing can dry out skin. If you wake up with an oily sheen, however, splash a bit of warm water on your face to dissolve the oils.
  • Options
    i always find that Simple wipes are good :)
    and there are some that remove makeup and help reduce spots too
    x
  • Options
    using cleansing milk followed by toner.
  • Options
    Another Ultrabland user here! It's quite pricey but it's BRILLIANT if you have sensitive or dry skin.