Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

2 x broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Leigh's being a dick and won't chnage from crappy plusnet (coz he gets free hosting). It's slow, laggy and so full of spikes i think their service centre is run by hedgehogs.

So, is it possible to get cable broadband i.e. virgin, AND plusnet (plusnet comes through the BT line) in the same house ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Plusnet is BT in disguise, and they are supposed to be good from what I've heard :confused:
    I would recommend taking them to task over their performance before taking drastic measures..

As to whether its possible, as long as the duct that goes from your house to the nearest street cabinet can accommodate another wire, I assume it can be done :)
    Well we were force9, which got took over but still the same old cunts in customer services.

Said we had to do all these tests n shit, but because the lag is in spikes (2-3 seconds every minute or so) it's hard to 'capture' these spikes on their fucking tests + the fact the persistantly say there's nothing wrong.

For browsing the net and downloading its not a problem, but it fucks up online gaming.
    I have to say I am with plus.net and do not have a problem. I like them because they're one of the only companies that do not use a FUP and just cap during the day,

I've had one outage but that was a massive problem and everyone (not just plus.net) went down, their customer services can be a bit funny but at least they're english based and not foreign. makes it easier for me

If I get what your asking, its whether or not you can have virgin (cable/fibre) and ADSL, if so yes.. but it's expensive for two lines..
    Yeah we can get virgin. The old cable box is right next to me now and i did their postcode thingy and we're in a fibre optic area. Having a look see round virgin its gonna be about £40/month for 10meg which i think is more than enopugh for gaming yes ?
    Low latency and low jitter matter more than high bandwidth but 10Mbps should be fine for most online gaming. I think the service providers take in to account the requirements of online gaming in most their broadband packages.
    You can have cable and ADSL at the same time.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Leigh's being a dick and won't chnage from crappy plusnet (coz he gets free hosting). It's slow, laggy and so full of spikes i think their service centre is run by hedgehogs.

So, is it possible to get cable broadband i.e. virgin, AND plusnet (plusnet comes through the BT line) in the same house ?

Did you actually check the telephone wiring in your house?

I totally rewired the way our house phone system wires worked.
    We went from a system that was struggling to get over 500 kb/s to one that now gets 17 mb/s

It sounds to me more like you're picking up RFI interference on your Bell Wire - remove it if you have one and see if it improves things .. I did this for someone and their internet speeds went from 800 kb/s to 2.5 mb/s

http://tinyurl.com/56y6vy