Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Streaming PC wirelessly to the TV

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Hi all,
We've been looking at the Apple TV piece of kit at the moment as it seems the easiest way of streaming movies e.t.c. from upstairs to downstairs. I did see an alternative but it had a range of 10 feet which was no good.

Anyone got any ideas on the best way of watching movies e.t.c. streamed downstairs to the big screen?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We've been looking at the Apple TV piece of kit at the moment as it seems the easiest way of streaming movies e.t.c. from upstairs to downstairs. I did see an alternative but it had a range of 10 feet which was no good.

Anyone got any ideas on the best way of watching movies e.t.c. streamed downstairs to the big screen?

Xbox 360.

Alternatively, you could always wi-fi your touch-screen to conference call your MySpace account on Bebo, using 3G, natch.
    Why wireless? I just ran a hdmi cable from my pc to my tv. Works flawlessly
    Wireless HDMI
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hi all,

Why do you want to stream to your TV in the first place?

On one TV we have a DVD player that can take SD cards and play DivX movies - so if we have a movie in DivX format we just copy it to a card and plug it into the DVD player.

On the other TV it has a USB slot and the TV can play DivX / Xvid directly.

why can't you just buy a box that takes memory cards and plays movies direct from the card? There are also several external hard drives that have sockets to connect to a TV and you play your movies direct from the Hard drive.

What is your reason for wanting to leave your PC on whilst you watch a movie?

Personally I'd wait a bit and see what Google TV solutions come out.
    DG wrote: »
    Why do you want to stream to your TV in the first place?

On one TV we have a DVD player that can take SD cards and play DivX movies - so if we have a movie in DivX format we just copy it to a card and plug it into the DVD player.

On the other TV it has a USB slot and the TV can play DivX / Xvid directly.

why can't you just buy a box that takes memory cards and plays movies direct from the card? There are also several external hard drives that have sockets to connect to a TV and you play your movies direct from the Hard drive.

What is your reason for wanting to leave your PC on whilst you watch a movie?

Personally I'd wait a bit and see what Google TV solutions come out.

I've suddenly realised I can buy a mini-dv-HDMI lead for the macbook my missus has, so buying a streaming thing is a bit pointless now anyway lol.
    you may need to buy an additional lead for audio, as the mini displayport > hdmi adaptors dont carry sound.

you have to make sure your tv is able to get picture from hdmi and sound from another source (like phono or 3.5mm)