Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No limits on tuition fees

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is the new 21k threshold likely to apply to people with existing student loans? I can't imagine it will, but it'd be pretty sweet for me if it did.

I highly doubt it. And are you sure you'd want it? It's a higher threshold, but with added interest and a higher percentage. If they offered me a chance to replace my existing contract, I'd probably turn it down and stick with the old one.
    So pleased I voted Lib Dem now :rolleyes:
    Whilst a part of me feels university was a wasted effort any way... In a sense I am kinda glad I went when I did because I would not have gone if I had to pay £3K a year, never mind anything more!

I had 2 part time jobs whilst I studied. I tried to get hardship in March of my final year, but they had no money for students. To be honest, my part time jobs have been more use than a degree in human rights. :rolleyes: I'd like to study a postgrad one day, but will have to wait and see if the economy improves and if I can get a better paying job. I'll probably study abroad though, as it's cheaper.

I don't think they should make courses more expensive, they should just make them harder to get in to. If somebody fails because they drank their funding away and didn't attend classes, they should be made to appeal or wait a couple of years to go back (i.e. if you had mental health problems, that's a different case to being a waster).

I'm not really surprised by the changes... If you want a career in a lot of sectors, you need to have money to be able to either work for free in London, or have the money to do an expensive postgrad... It doesn't surprise me that now, working class people are going to struggle to afford to go to university as well...

It's just gonna show how alive and well the class system is... I am more pissed off for my brother, than anything else.
    Everyone having the chance or opportunity to go to university, is not the same as everybody actually going.
    Look on the bright side; if all else fails you can do what i did and take out $20,000 in student loans.
    Look on the bright side; if all else fails you can do what i did and take out $20,000 in student loans.

I hear Korea's full of Americans teaching English to save money to pay off their students loans. Only takes a couple of years teaching to do it, usually. One day Korea might introduce some legislation about teaching qualifications, though, and then you'll all be fucked.

Ooh, you did well, that's below the average uk student's debt. see http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/average-student-debt-to-hit-16317500-as-topup-fees-burden-starts-to-bite-461479.html
    katralla wrote: »

I assume that is all debt from living finances though... housing, "freshers week" food, and what not, and my guess is that AARJ's is tuition (and perhaps room/board for the first couple years) alone. Add that to any personal debt the student might create. The student loans, which you have to start paying 6mos after graduating or dropping below a half time student. They give you 10 years to pay it off and you realize too late that you should have listened to your parents because that art history degree is getting you a job at mcdonalds and your school payments are more than you make in a month.

So you decide to take some night classes because continuing education lets you defer any student loans, but you still have to pay any personal loans so your stuck at that shitty minimum wage job, you move back in with your parents and before you know it your $20k loan with the interest and added loans to avoid paying it has turned into $200k... and you still can't get a job.

Not that paying 3k a year for school in the UK is a good thing of course :p
    That sounds sucky.
    The BMA has calculated that if universities were to set tuition fees for medicine courses to around £10 000, this would mean that a student would have an average debt of around £70 000 on qualifying—almost double the current average debt of £37 000. If tuition fees were set higher, it is possible that a new doctor’s final debt could rise to around £100 000.

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c5723.full

Even £37,000 seems like a hell of a lot but £100,000...... :shocking: