Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

not sure where 2 post this - help plz

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya sorry to bother you all,
i cant find anything on net what ill need to do to be a counsellor :
ie will i need to go college.. uni? will i need GCSE's confident etc

also i need to know what ill need if wanna be a physcologist can someone help me please?

also wat kinda things cud i put in my care plan?

thanks for your help xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    heya sorry to bother you all,
    i cant find anything on net what ill need to do to be a counsellor :
    ie will i need to go college.. uni? will i need GCSE's confident etc

also i need to know what ill need if wanna be a physcologist can someone help me please?

also wat kinda things cud i put in my care plan?

thanks for your help xx
    I think it should have gone under work......:) Maybe PM a MOD and get it moved?

I am glad you are thinking positive about your future. Hope what ever you choose you get have you tried Connexions they will be able to tell you what qualifications you may need, they also have a message board you may wish to post on asking the community. What do you think, will you try it?
    To become a psychologist im pretty sure you'll need a degree in psychology, accreddited by the British psychological society (i think). However i feel i should mention i dont think occupation health people would let you work as a counsellor or psychologist until you get your own problems sorted out. You need to be very stable to be offering that kind of support to others and right now i really dont think you're in the right place right now for that.

Nothing to stop you starting a course while you are getting treatment though, if this is really what you want, you should take opportunity to start setting the ground work now.

Good luck xx
    Hi Depressedgal,

There's a lot of info on the Connexions Jobs4U site - have a look at their section on Social Work and Counselling Services and you can explore a whole range of jobs in this category.

This is the specific page with information on counselling/psychotherapy as well.

Hope that helps :)
    Check out Everest College, it is only 11 months and guaranteed job after. But, it is fairly expensive..but OSAP and line of credits are good
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Dont it matter about ur helth as well?
    Dont it matter about ur helth as well?

Please read the below post, which was made about 24 hours ago.
    To become a psychologist im pretty sure you'll need a degree in psychology, accreddited by the British psychological society (i think). However i feel i should mention i dont think occupation health people would let you work as a counsellor or psychologist until you get your own problems sorted out. You need to be very stable to be offering that kind of support to others and right now i really dont think you're in the right place right now for that.

Nothing to stop you starting a course while you are getting treatment though, if this is really what you want, you should take opportunity to start setting the ground work now.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi depressedgal :wave:

Just thought I'd drop in as someone has asked a similar question in our Work & Study Q&A section on TheSite and I thought the answer maybe useful to you.

There is also some useful information on the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy website especially around training. You will see that at the moment there is no legal minimum qualification to get into counselling, but some training courses do have minimum age limits as the experience and life skills you get with age can be really desirable.

As AThiefAWhoreAndALiar said you will need a qualification such as an undergraduate degree in Psychology to become a Psychologist. If you do a degree in a different subject then there are conversion courses you can do. This is quite a useful article explaining this.

It sounds as though you are unsure at this stage what exactly you would like to do in this area. Experience can be really valuable when thinking about getting into careers like Counselling and Psychology. Have you thought about doing some volunteering to get experience and to help find out whether this path is definitely for you? For example you could volunteer for a helpline or as a mentor supporting others.

Also, as AThiefAWhoreAndALiar points out your own health is something to keep in consideration, but there is nothing to stop you from finding out about what’s out there and making some steps towards starting a career you are really interested in :)

Hope that helps,
    Laura