Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Christmas day, bank holiday (working law)?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My Boss has said Christmas, Boxing, and New Years day are not bank holidays?

This says otherwise

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741

I thought as Christmas and boxing day were on the weekend i got both days plus the following Monday and Tuesday off as well?

:confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There are 8 days each year which are bank holidays, should any bank holidays fall on weekends, there are days which are designated as days in lieu of the bank holidays (In the UK).
    So if i were told i had to work the Monday and Tuesday (27th and 28th)
    would that be unlawful?:confused: and :thumb:
    NO, there is currently no legislation to force employers to even give Christmas or New year off, let alone any other dates, I have to usually work one or the other but they can rota you on for any dates.

having bank holidays off are not a legal entitlement. they can make you work them and add the days to your annual holiday entitlement.

Time off for employees

You don't have an automatic right to paid leave on bank and public holidays, though many people receive the day off work. Any right to time off or extra pay for working on a bank holiday depends on the terms of your contract of employment.

Source
    I think what he's probably saying in this case is that the bank holiday representing Christmas Day and Boxing day fall during the week rather than at the weekend when the actual days are.

But however you spin it, I think he can expect you to work if you're rostered for Christmas day or the Monday, given the way the rules are worded. (It'd just be a bit morally shit if he didn't then properly compensate you for doing so.)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    NO, there is currently no legislation to force employers to even give Christmas or New year off, let alone any other dates, I have to usually work one or the other but they can rota you on for any dates.

having bank holidays off are not a legal entitlement. they can make you work them and add the days to your annual holiday entitlement.

Source

Thats intersting, thanks for your reply...

Mist wrote: »
    I think what he's probably saying in this case is that the bank holiday representing Christmas Day and Boxing day fall during the week rather than at the weekend when the actual days are.

Hello Mist, you hit the nail right on the head there...

I read the e-mail thinking he was saying its not a bank holiday so theres no time off, but your right he meant the weekend is not a bank holiday as the monday and Tuesday is the substituted holiday, technically.

Panic over nothing...

Thank you :thumb:
    Hey there,

I'm glad that things have now been cleared up in regards to your particular issue. However, I just wanted to confirm that Hellfire's advice is correct.

Employers do not have to give you bank holidays off work and if they do they do not have to pay you for it. Your contract of employment should have all these details so ensure to refer back to it if you are not sure. If it is not specified in your contract then ask at the earliest opportunity so you know where you stand.

If you would like further information about this then please read the Citizen's Advice Bureau's page on Bank and Public Holidays.

Hope this clears things up for everyone as it is something that I am sure we have all wondered about!

:)