Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where to search for funds for a course?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm due to embark on an advertising school programme in London come September 2011. It's a new, upcoming course which already has people talking. The fees are £3,250 per term making it a gigantic £12k in total. However, the programme boasts of offering over 30% of it's cohort scholarships to cover these fees and perhaps more.

Competition for entry is fierce - with over 800 applying and only 21 starting the course in September, with a further 15 starting in January - and I was over the moon to be accepted solely on the basis of my phone interview. Although the qualification is a step back from my degree level education, I feel the guarantee of six months worth of placements at top ad firms was too good to turn down.

However, before I can communicate with the funds assistant in the hope of obtaining grants or scholarships, I have to pay a £325 deposit. Right now I'm poor :( and I was wondering if there are any places to search who can assist me with this fee? Any help appreciated!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Neil,

This sounds like a really interesting programme, and congratulations on beating off the competition and securing a place :yippe:

This fact sheet on TheSite might help you to consider your options for funding. In particular the Professional and Career Development Loan may be of interest to you. In short you can apply for a bank loan of between £300 to £10,000 which you then repay when you have finished studying.

Direct.gov is a great place to start and it recommends you speak to a Next Step Adviser. You can arrange an appointment where an adviser calls you free of charge and you can find out about your different options and what funding you are eligible for.

It might also be worth speaking to the training provider of the course you have been accepted on. If they are charging large fees they may know of sources of funding for participants who need some financial help or funding specifically for those entering into the world of advertising.

Hope that is a good start, let us know how you get on,

Laura