Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plans to cut child benefits

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not really sure what you're arguing for or about.

Do you see all tax breaks aimed at identifiable groups as synonymous? That because one group benefits while others don't, all group-based breaks are equally helpful and fair?

It's easy to grasp the idea that a tax break aimed at (straight) married couples isn't directly dipping a hand into the pocket of single folk, but that doesn't make it equitable.

Then we should get rid of all tab breaks or benefits, as somewhere down the line, each one is unfair to someone.

Look at child benefit, why shouldnt I get money for not having kids? Simply benefits/tax breaks are designed to do just that, help or benefit people. Such as with certain benefits, if you have millions lying around spare, do you really need it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think that it's possible to have a completely fair system. It should be possible though to avoid the stupidity in the system.

Like the way that Philip Green avoided £285m worth of tax just in the way he set up his personal affairs.