Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quick q - passport return times!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Feel free to move this to travel but I thought I'd get faster responses here.

My old childs passport expired last year, so I'm sending off for my first adult one. Now I'm sending my old one off with it, so they can see I've had a passport before. But as it's my first adult one will it still take several weeks to come back like it says on the website for first adults or will it be quite quick like a normal renewal? It doesn't say anything about updating from a childs to an adults.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Id go with worst case scenario tbh. Though you could ring.

Though

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Renewingorextendingyourpassport/DG_174096
    Who can apply to renew an adult passport and when

You don’t have to wait until your passport has run out - you can renew it at any time. The Identity and Passport Service (IPS) will cancel your old passport when it issues a new one.

Who can renew their passport

You can apply to renew your passport if you still have your last passport and:
    • it was a standard UK adult ten-year passport or a UK five-year child's passport issued before you were 16
    • it is undamaged
    • you do not need to change your name or national status

You cannot renew your passport if:

you were previously included as a child on someone else's passport
  • Options
    Appears if you had a childs one, and you were not on a parents passport, then it should just be like a normal adult renewal.
  • Options
    If I get it sent off within the next week (I'm going to countersign it just to be safe as it says you have to if your appearance has changed significantly, and I'd just turned 14 on my old one!) should I be ok to book flights for the end of june?
  • Options
    I would phone them just to check what the waiting times are but when i got my daughters passport in october - during the postal strike - i got it in a week - it was a childs first passport - I did pay the extra for the post office checking and the express return delivery though but it was worth it.
  • Options
    just got mine in the same situation in 11 days, but you need to phone up to ask for live turnaround times as it depends on demand.

Go to post office and get it sent check & send, speeds it up a little bit.

edit: also dubious about booking flights - they can at random ask you in for an interview to prove you're not a terrorist i think which will no doubt make the process longer!!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    just got mine in the same situation in 11 days, but you need to phone up to ask for live turnaround times as it depends on demand.

Go to post office and get it sent check & send, speeds it up a little bit.

edit: also dubious about booking flights - they can at random ask you in for an interview to prove you're not a terrorist i think which will no doubt make the process longer!!

I thought that was just if it's your first adult passport and you've never had any other kind? And I'm going to do check and send!
  • Options
    I *think* that renewing from child passport to adult is treated pretty much the same as adult to adult, but not 100%.

When I last renewed mine, they quoted 6-8 weeks turnaround, and yet I had it back in 2 weeks. I would think you'll probably be ok for the end of June, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Could you cancel flights if it's not back?
  • Options
    It can take anything from 1 to 6 weeks, from what I have been told.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    I *think* that renewing from child passport to adult is treated pretty much the same as adult to adult, but not 100%.

When I last renewed mine, they quoted 6-8 weeks turnaround, and yet I had it back in 2 weeks. I would think you'll probably be ok for the end of June, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Could you cancel flights if it's not back?

I phoned up and that's what I was told, my previous passport was from when I was 15 but had my photo on. He said also I didn't need to bother counter signing.

There is a really useful telephone helpline that could help ballerina - "You can also call the Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000 (open 7am-11pm Monday to Sunday)."
  • Options
    update: I can't find my old passport to send off! I thought I knew where it was but I can't find it! Do I report it lost even though it's out of date? How do I apply for a new one when I don't have my passport number??
  • Options
    it will go through much faster if you have it checked and sent off by the post office, i did this when i needed to renew my passport and it only took 8 days.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    update: I can't find my old passport to send off! I thought I knew where it was but I can't find it! Do I report it lost even though it's out of date? How do I apply for a new one when I don't have my passport number??

Ring them.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    Ring them.

i second that notion. just give them a call
  • Options
    This thread is about 5 months old now, I think the OP either got the passport sorted, or wont need it anymore.
  • Options
    For applying to get passports one has to fill in passport application.Expresspassport.com is right spot for you drop down the get a new passport.It's provide are true and reliable.
  • Options
    Closing this now, it's pretty old.
This discussion has been closed.