Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Am i manic?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all:wave: ,

So for a good few years now i've had a mood disturbance but it it was up and down sometimes within minutes. These days (like the whole of this wk) its a matter of a week or two that i'm on a high followed but a good 2-3 weeks depressed so much so i plan to kill myself. (those who have read other posts it was only last week i was found unconcious after an overdose)
My psychiatrist said that he needs to watch out to see if i have Bipolar Disorder. Currently my diagnosis is psychosis, depression and Borderline personality disorder.

On a high like this week i tend to spend lots of money. like last month i went over my monthly budget by £250. I find that my thoughts race and i can accoplish anything. i've been spending this week travelling to different places just to spend money. I feel slighty invincible!
I am sleeping less but not stupid amounts. i have though on highs before gone two days without the need for sleep.
It's hard to explqin my happiness. its like, as i said to the doc, i feel on top of the world- simply fucking amazing!!

Is this a sign of Bipolar disorder or something else?

BB x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    from what you've described, sounds like classic biopolar to me- but i'm not a doc, just an observer. xx
    skakitty wrote: »
    from what you've described, sounds like classic biopolar to me- but i'm not a doc, just an observer. xx

Not necessarily; actually this is a difficult one mainly because of the fact that you’ve already been given a diagnosis of BPD. Bipolar and BPD can have similar symptoms and there are times when someone can be given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder only for it to later be overturned and replaced with the diagnosis of BPD (and vice versa). Indeed the two are often inextricably linked, which can result in a dual diagnosis for some people. Some even suggest that BPD may be a form of bipolar (although this is still currently unfounded).

Obviously the biggest commonality between the two is mood instability, however while in bipolar extreme highs or lows are normally sustained over a period of weeks or months, BPD can result in mood changes within hours and even in a matter of minutes (which is what you initially describe). One of the key differences is that mood swings in BPD tend to be influenced by the environmental factors whereas mood swings in bipolar can often appear to have no obvious cause. Bipolar also tends to have longer periods of remission than BPD.

What’s your current situation BB? Are you getting much support at the moment? *hug*
    Not necessarily; actually this is a difficult one mainly because of the fact that you’ve already been given a diagnosis of BPD. Bipolar and BPD can have similar symptoms and there are times when someone can be given a diagnosis of bipolar disorder only for it to later be overturned and replaced with the diagnosis of BPD. Indeed the two are often inextricably linked, which can result in a dual diagnosis for some people. Some even suggest that BPD may be a form of bipolar (although this is still currently unfounded).

Obviously the biggest commonality between the two is mood instability, however while in bipolar extreme highs or lows are normally sustained over a period of weeks or months, BPD can result in mood changes within hours and even in a matter of minutes (which is what you initially describe). One of the key differences is that mood swings in BPD tend to be influenced by the environmental factors whereas mood swings in bipolar can often appear to have no obvious cause. Bipolar also tends to have longer periods of remission than BPD.

What’s your current situation BB? Are you getting much support at the moment? *hug*

thanks girl afraid, thats really interesting. :)

Currently i am seeing a psychiatrist mainly for my psychosis. I'm on anti-psychotics and anti-depressants.

BB x
    good points, there is also the 'rapid cycling' bipolar, in which moods can change rapidly- also, psychosis is reported more as a symptom of bipolar than it is of BPD?
    :) Thanks Skakitty. i am gonna look it up
    good luck BB :) stay safe x
    skakitty wrote: »
    good points, there is also the 'rapid cycling' bipolar, in which moods can change rapidly- also, psychosis is reported more as a symptom of bipolar than it is of BPD?

Rapid cycling can occur in both bipolar I and II, however rapid cycling is usually defined as having 4 or more episodes within a 12 month period. More than one episode within a month is thought to be ultra-rapid cycling and changes within a 24/48 hour period ultra-ultra-rapid cycling. But usually rapid cycling still refers to/involves changes with a period of months/weeks rather than minutes.

I presume your psychiatrist is already aware of the symptoms you have been experiencing? If not then it's probably wise to fill him or her in :thumb:

Anyway take care and let us know how you are getting on ;)
    Rapid cycling can occur in both bipolar I and II, however rapid cycling is usually defined as having 4 or more episodes within a 12 month period. More than one episode within a month is thought to be ultra-rapid cycling and changes within a 24/48 hour period ultra-ultra-rapid cycling. But usually rapid cycling still refers to/involves changes with a period of months/weeks rather than minutes.

I presume your psychiatrist is already aware of the symptoms you have been experiencing? If not then it's probably wise to fill him or her in :thumb:

Anyway take care and let us know how you are getting on ;)

Yes, they are aware, but don't want to diagnose me too early until they are completely sure.

I seem to have a high for up to two weeks then a low for two weeks. So that sounds like rapid cycling right?
    I get a manic as a symptom of my BPD when I'm unwell.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I get a manic as a symptom of my BPD when I'm unwell.

Same here. I have a lot of trouble with mania when my BPD is out of control.

Bipolar (Manic Depression) and BPD are very similar, as everyone has said. However, the good thing is that the treatment of the two is basically identical. Antipsychotics are often prescribed to people for mood instability. However, a-typical antipsychotics like Geodon or Abilify can sometimes cause mania symptoms in bi-polar individuals.

I hope you get an answer soon.