Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to put a positive spin on a bad grade

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Long story short, my uni grade wasnt quite up to the standard I was expecting and I finished with a 3rd in business.
Employers all seem to know a 2:2 as a drinkers degree and a 3rd is just not even considered for graduate jobs. But when going for interviews, how could i put a positive spin on my low grade?
I dont want to be giving excuses but then its not exactly something im proud of either. Interviewers will invariably ask what grade i received so whats the best was to explain it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    were you involved in any societiys or club at uni? did you volunteer? i'd focus on the skills you learnt and show them that a 3rd classmark doesnt define you or the time you spent at university. but if you are called for an interview, it's a good sign and shows they are smart enough to look beyond the grade anyway. found this, (pinched my answer from there really..it's a good read :D) http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/aug/01/third-class-degrees
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :yes: and in a nutshell from TheSite.org too:
    The stereotype: Part-time Pete/Petra

The reality: You might have struggled a bit with your coursework and dreaded exams, no matter how hard you had studied in advance. Maybe you picked the wrong course, but realised a bit too late to change to one you'd have done better in.

Get past it: You can turn a Third into something positive. Know why you didn't get a better grade and work out how to communicate this positively without sounding like you're making excuses. Make sure you can talk about all the new experiences and skills you did learn during your time at uni. Even if it's a part-time job behind the uni bar, you can talk about handling money, dealing with difficult customers, organising special nights and working as a team. If you got involved in a club, society or some kind of volunteering work, then even better.

http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob/graduates/overcomingyourgradestereotype

What kinds of jobs are you going for icey? I wouldn't assume they'll ask about your grade, it really does depend on the profession and interviews tend to be much more on specific skills, experience and knowledge base rather than grades. :)