Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Stopped losing weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The past two weeks I have stopped losing weight...

I am still watching what I eat and working out five days a week... I didn't go to the gym the first two weeks of September and the second two, I am not shifting on the scales...

I really want to lose at least two and a half inches from my waist before Christmas and I just feel sick at myself for not achieving steady weight loss.:crying:

Could it be something to do with me changing my program and using more free weights?

I am a woman and don't see how I can build enough muscle tone to make a difference...

Should I maybe try a different exercise, or change my calorie intake (I eat 1000-1300 per day)?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It could be your building muscle (which sounds likely if doing free weights)

Stop using the scales and use the mirror to evaluate your results.

EDIT : Dont drop your calories, it will do you more harm than good.
    While toning is an important part of your exercise routine it doesn't burn the calories like CV does - try to make sure you balance the two.

On the other hand hitting a plateau for a few weeks is normal anyway.

(I switched my exercise from CV to tone/control about 3 months ago, I've only lost a kilo since then.)
    As BG says, hitting a plateau after a few weeks is normal. However, if you are already eating very little, it is possible that your metabolism has gone into "starvation mode" (I'm sure there is a correct medical term LOL). Basically, your body stops expecting food and stores everything you eat. I don't know what diet plan you are following, but those that allow you to eat a decent quantity of a limited variety of foods generally work better long term.
    I am gonna rest a couple of days and eat more calories than I normally do, then hit the gym again next week. To be honest, I don't think I am eating enough, as my mood is low and I have had periods of exhaustion...

So maybe exhaustion has been affecting my work out too...

I hope the shock of returning to the gym will kick me back in to weight loss.
    Namaste wrote: »
    I am gonna rest a couple of days and eat more calories than I normally do, then hit the gym again next week. To be honest, I don't think I am eating enough, as my mood is low and I have had periods of exhaustion...

So maybe exhaustion has been affecting my work out too...

I hope the shock of returning to the gym will kick me back in to weight loss.

Try eating foods to boost your metabolism, such as chills etc etc, look em up.
    I post on another forum (for vegans in to fitness) and they gave me a site to calculate my daily calorie needs...

It seems I need around 2300 calories, given my activity levels to maintain my current weight.

Grrgrr... See, some people have told me I shouldn't even eat hummus because it's too fattening and I was watching every calorie and now it seems this...
    As BG says, hitting a plateau after a few weeks is normal. However, if you are already eating very little, it is possible that your metabolism has gone into "starvation mode" (I'm sure there is a correct medical term LOL). Basically, your body stops expecting food and stores everything you eat. I don't know what diet plan you are following, but those that allow you to eat a decent quantity of a limited variety of foods generally work better long term.

... May have happened.

No wonder I was feeling tired and low a lot, I have been starving myself!
    Yay I am losing it again and have now hit the 20lb mark. :d
    weights will make you gain weight as theyre muscle building.
    Weight lifters dont generally expect to lose weight, they go to the gym to bulk up.
    Cardio is more effective for weight loss
    Yay I am losing it again and have now hit the 20lb mark. :d

Fucking hell Nameste, slow down a bit mate. If you only weigh 20lbs you're gonna get ill !
    weights will make you gain weight as theyre muscle building.
    Weight lifters dont generally expect to lose weight, they go to the gym to bulk up.
    Cardio is more effective for weight loss

I know :)

I'm basically going more by waist measurements as well (it's good to do weights/resistance before cardio because you use up more glycogen and then move to fat burning) and I have lost almost a inch and a half!
    I know :)

I'm basically going more by waist measurements as well (it's good to do weights/resistance before cardio because you use up more glycogen and then move to fat burning) and I have lost almost a inch and a half!

really? i didn't know that.

i usually do about an hours worth of cardio then my weights/resistance stuff afterwards.

i joined the gym this week (haven't been in years!) so i shall start swapping my routine around!
    I think you need to gain weight initially while you gain muscle, and to do that you need to eat more than you normally would, but having more muscle will help you lose more weight in long run. As other people have said, in any weight loss or fitness regime there will be periods where you will feel like your not making any improvement.