Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should formula milk be prescription-only to encourage breastfeeding?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    IMHO - No.

We are already in a position where the national policy borders on bullying, this would just tip the scale a little further. Just as there should be no stigma attached to breastfeeding, neither should there be to using formula milk.
  • Options
    On that subject -

Did anyone else hear about this story?

Thoughts?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    No. It takes away that choice for women. If I had been forced to continue breastfeeding I'd've been more ill than I was after giving birth.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    MoK wrote: »
    On that subject -

Thoughts?

If that's true then it is absolutely shocking behaviour from the NHS. However, I can't imagine that they would really send letters to parents who had already breastfed for 4 months, celebrity or not, bullying them into carrying on. Surely they have more important things to spend their time, energy and money on?
  • Options
    Absolutely not it's a choice that shouldn't be taken away.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6719696.ece
  • Options
    On that subject -

Thoughts?

Was it you who sent the lettter MoK :d ?

Reading the story I'm not sure if she was personally targetted (ie someone saw her feeding from the bottle and sent her a letter) - which would be wrong or more likely she was part of a targetted mailshot aimed at all mothers, in which case its another way of subsidising Royal Mail
  • Options
    Just as there should be no stigma attached to breastfeeding, neither should there be to using formula milk.

This.

The way to encourage mothers to breastfeed is to promote breastfeeding as normal and natural, not to make out like formula is the antichrist. So no, I don't think it should be prescription only.
    We are already in a position where the national policy borders on bullying, this would just tip the scale a little further.

Have to disagree with this though, at least in my experience.

In this area, bottlefeeding is the norm. My baby was prescribed some medicine in powder form, and when I asked the doctor how I should give it to her, he said, 'you just mix it in the milk'. When I said, 'but the milk is in my boobs!' he looked at me like I had three heads. Similarly, one of my friends went to her 6 week check, and he asked her how many bottles the baby had a day. When she said she was breastfeeding, he replied, 'what, STILL?!'.

The support here for breastfeeding is excellent (despite the lack of people actually doing it!), but they always make a point of saying that if you feel like you want to switch to formula, you should contact the breastfeeding link worker and she'll help you through the transition. There are even a couple of formula feeding mums who come to our surestart breastfeeding support group.
  • Options
    Kaff,

I think what you see there is the difference between "national policy" and GPs.

National Policy is to push up the rate of breastfeeding. When I say push, I mean it's done to the point that women are starting to complain about not feeling like they actually do have a choice.
  • Options
    If that's true then it is absolutely shocking behaviour from the NHS. However, I can't imagine that they would really send letters to parents who had already breastfed for 4 months, celebrity or not, bullying them into carrying on. Surely they have more important things to spend their time, energy and money on?

TBH I'm not sure it was done as an attempt to bully, given that she stated she gave up because of the stigma when she fed in public.
  • Options
    National Policy is to push up the rate of breastfeeding. When I say push, I mean it's done to the point that women are starting to complain about not feeling like they actually do have a choice.

It would seem that National Policy has not reached my shady little corner of Yorkshire ;)
  • Options
    Ah, Yorkshire. Always do things different up there, almost as if they don't like our English ways ;)
  • Options
    Stick it on prescription.
  • Options
    Hmmm, prescription items for children are free.. is that a good thing?

What happens when you run out of formula at 3 in the morning?
  • Options
    Your child starves to death as a punishment for you being both a non breast feeder and for not being terribly organised.
  • Options
    Natural selection in action. Works for me. :thumb:
  • Options
    And so it is decided.
  • Options
    Does it cost more for the NHS to prescribe an item than it would for someone to buy a tin of formula? I have no idea how much formula costs these days.

I think women (and babies) should have a choice of whether they want to breastfeed or formula feed.
  • Options
    There would be an administrative charge and a cost to the NHS which would probably be prohibitive from making it work in practice, as the actual milk would be free as children get free prescriptions.