Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

drinking & sleeping

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whenever I drink, my sleep pattern becomes disturbed.
I had one drink last night with a meal, and I woke up an hour ago (3:30am) and still awake. It seems to happen every time I drink now, not just tonight.
Does it happen to anyone else?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Nutter.. sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping when you drink. It's certainly not uncommon, the quality of rest you get after drinking isn't as good as if you'd had an alcohol-free night. This article on what drink does might help explain things but it may also be that if you're worried about it, or expecting it to happen, then that's making you wake up too?

Is this something that's started recently? One drink shouldn't really have too much of an effect but all of our bodies react differently. Alcohol has a diuretic effect which means it encourgaes you to wee more than usual, it may be that you wake up because you need the toilet?

Also sounds like the waking up part might not be so bad if you could get back to sleep quickly? Do you sleep through normally when you haven't been drinking?

I hope it settles down for you soon :)
    I usually lay in for as long as possible at weekends, but after I've been out drinking I find that I need less sleep and I usually end up waking up much earlier than normal even though I might not have gone to bed until hours later than I normally would. I have also found lately that even after just one drink I feel really sleepy, annoying!
    I think I sleep through when I haven't been drinking. My head is all fuzzy, i'm not sure. I know that i kept waking up before, but would get back to sleep. i dunno, probably making a big deal over nothing.
    i have been drinking tonight, so let's see what happens....
    A problem i have after drinking is I wake up at some point during the week and im desperatuere for water i need something to wet my mouth. il drink the first thing. be it milk, water or a fizzy drink. And after that im bak to sleep straight away again
    If i drink anything other than red wine, it gives me terrible insomnia.
    seemed to get through the night ok. i had some water before bed, and put some vitamin c tablet in and a co-codamol, seems to sort it right out. perhaps i was just more tired since we moved from pub to pub and then finally watched a performance.
    Wow, totally opposite for me..when I drink I fall as sleep like a baby