Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drinking whilst Eating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I usually have something to drink whilst eating a meal, such as water, juice, etc

But I've heard people say you shouldn't drink anything at all (not even water) whilst eating cos it dilutes the acid and enzymes in the stomach - what does everyone else do?

Do you drink anything with your meals and if not why not?

Comments

• Options
    really cold water, that's it really. i like it. especially if i have put too much salt on my chips
  • Options
    Yea i do usually, or have a drink afterwards, never did me any harm
  • Options
    Sounds like a load of crap to me. Your digestive system needs fluid. The food gets broken down, dissolves in water/juicy/winey then all those little villi (about the only thing i remember form O level biology) absorb all that foody goodness.
  • Options
    Worst case scenario I suppose you could end up with a bit of indigestion if you dilute the enzymes too much. I doubt you'd make yourself seriously ill.
  • Options
    I get thirsty when I eat, helps wash things down... if it is bad, oh well, havn't died yet :p
  • Options
    I decided to test out eating without drinking today and one thing I did notice right away was without a drink at meal time I chewed my food a lot more.
  • Options
    I did see an email doing the rounds which seemed to say that one should only drink warm water between meals and fruit juice was bad for you, but it looked like it was written by one of those fanatical American nutritionists, so I paid no attention. I don't think I've heard that advice recommended by any reliable authority.

On the other hand, I do genuinely believe that the benefits of orange juice are over-rated. Very young children can have difficulty digesting it, it has been linked to hyperactivity in older children, in excessive amounts it can cause diarrhea, it can aggravate migraines, it isn't recommended for people taking PPI's and it adversely affects arthritis in older people. Since my OH takes PPI's for acid reflux and I suffer from migraines, orange juice has no place in our refrigerator ...
  • Options
    I agree with Rubberskin......Its a load of crap!!
  • Options
    I did see an email doing the rounds which seemed to say that one should only drink warm water between meals and fruit juice was bad for you, but it looked like it was written by one of those fanatical American nutritionists, so I paid no attention. I don't think I've heard that advice recommended by any reliable authority.

On the other hand, I do genuinely believe that the benefits of orange juice are over-rated. Very young children can have difficulty digesting it, it has been linked to hyperactivity in older children, in excessive amounts it can cause diarrhea, it can aggravate migraines, it isn't recommended for people taking PPI's and it adversely affects arthritis in older people. Since my OH takes PPI's for acid reflux and I suffer from migraines, orange juice has no place in our refrigerator ...

What does PPI stand for? I tried looking on Google but other stuff came up.

I've seen there is lots of references online to the benefits of chewing more for better digestion and also to help the body feel more full and thus help with weight loss.
  • Options
    Mixed feelings. I know a girl who couldn't drink anything while eating, otherwise she would get serious digestion problems, but I always drink plenty while eating and it never did me any harm.
  • Options
    I find I feel odd if I dont drink anything with my food, unless its quite moist/watery.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I usually have something to drink whilst eating a meal, such as water, juice, etc

But I've heard people say you shouldn't drink anything at all (not even water) whilst eating cos it dilutes the acid and enzymes in the stomach - what does everyone else do?

Do you drink anything with your meals and if not why not?

Alcohol, if not it's because I think I will have to drive somewhere or don't know the people I'm with well enough to let go in their company.

You should always drink whilst you're eating, it's better if you don't eat though as that makes you need more drink and takes up space in your stomach. You can always chuck up the food though to make space for more booze if it's not having the desired effect, or not quickly enough. Food is for wimps, drink is for kings.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    What does PPI stand for? I tried looking on Google but other stuff came up.

Proton-pump inhibitor, e.g. lanzoprazole and omaprozole. In a nutshell, PPIs stop you producing too much stomach acid and prevent acid reflux - where acid escapes from the stomach and causes inflamation of the oesophagus. (It is quite common. The first sign for most people is a difficulty swallowing - as if something is stuck half way down your gullet.)
  • Options
    I heard if you have to drink something while eating a meal, warm water is best?!?!?!..but it is better to not have anything
  • Options
    If I don't drink with my meals, I get belly ache. Normally just squash or water, though.

Apparently you shouldn't drink caffeinated drinks with your food though, as caffeine inhibits absorbtion of the iron in your food.