Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alternatives to teething gel?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have wisdom teeth coming through. For the last 3 years or so, (feels much longer!) I've been using teething gel; but find this doesn't help. Is there anything else I can use please?

I've just had a quick look on Boots and it mentions teething powder. What exactly is this, and how different is it to teething gel?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Clove tincture, Anbesol from the chemists.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I have been recommended some Ashton & Parsons powders for my 1y/o. Not sure if they work because trying to get it on her tongue is a bit of a bugger.
    Orajel is brilliant, but it can make your whole head go numb. Make sure to get the adult stuff, though (think it's actually intended for toothache). Baby teething gel isn't strong enough to do a right lot of anything!

Apparently (this may be hippy dippy crap, but I know people who swear by it) wearing some types of amber next to your skin works as a natural analgesic. You can buy amber teething necklaces that someone recommended me for babies, but don't see why you couldn't give it a bash for wisdom teeth. If all else fails you'll have a necklace out of it!
    I would get a compass and dig the flesh away from the gums on top and around the emerging teeth.
    katralla wrote: »
    I would get a compass and dig the flesh away from the gums on top and around the emerging teeth.

Thanks. That really made me cringe and go like this - :eek2:
    Baby teething gel isn't strong enough to do a right lot of anything!

Ah, that explains why it's not working that well.

Thanks guys.
    have u seen a dentist recently to confirm that the pain is them coming through and not because they have impacted and gotten infected?

edited to add Katralla, ewww!
    Kaff wrote: »
    Orajel is brilliant, but it can make your whole head go numb. Make sure to get the adult stuff, though (think it's actually intended for toothache). Baby teething gel isn't strong enough to do a right lot of anything!
    That stuff is brilliant for tooth pain, but it stopped working for me after a few uses. Don't drink for a while after using it as you'll just dribble hehe.
    I was going to add that teething powder is really for babies- i'm not actually convinced it does anything other than distract them from the pain because it tastes slightly sweet - but its good at calming them down.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I was going to add that teething powder is really for babies

I noticed this too.

I've not seen a dentist yet - NHS website claims all the ones in my area are full. Will phone a few up on Monday.
    Don't drink for a while after using it as you'll just dribble hehe.

lol
    Gengigel. Comes as a mouthwash and a gel, I used both and it really helped. It's meant for use after extractions and stuff so it's specially for treating sore gums. It's what my mum recommended too and shes a dental nurse. :yes:
    have u seen a dentist recently to confirm that the pain is them coming through and not because they have impacted and gotten infected?

edited to add Katralla, ewww!

Aw well, I donj't have any wisdom teeht but I got secondary moars ocme throufhh when I was 16. Tjey all came througha t the same time and really hurt, the best relief I found was digging them oujt. I wouldn't REALLY advise it tough, eeven though it worked for me.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Gengigel. Comes as a mouthwash and a gel, I used both and it really helped. It's meant for use after extractions and stuff so it's specially for treating sore gums. It's what my mum recommended too and shes a dental nurse. :yes:

Can you buy this, or is it prescription only?
    Melian wrote: »
    Can you buy this, or is it prescription only?

You can buy it :)