Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

WoW account hacked, nothing dangerous on PC

Yeh so basically my mate told my I got hacked on WoW, logged in, couldnt..details were changed, aswell as my secret password n question.

Now, the bit i want to know, i did about 10 scans with all different programs and nothing really came up, how was that even possible? could it still be on my computer?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How does he know you got hacked ?
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    How does he know you got hacked ?

Well this mate is my guild master, found me selling ingame materiels and not replying in chat so..he reported it..also contacted me and i said i wasnt on..when my character was.
    OK, well do you have any friends in the real life ID thing ?
    OK, well do you have any friends in the real life ID thing ?

yeh a fair few. all college mates.
    tbh that's where i'd first look. if someone has your real id then they have your email which is your log in details, why i wont ever use it.

do you tick the 'remember user name' on the login screen so you just type your password in evrytime you log in to WoW
    tbh that's where i'd first look. if someone has your real id then they have your email which is your log in details, why i wont ever use it.

do you tick the 'remember user name' on the login screen so you just type your password in evrytime you log in to WoW

yes i do have that..but using that, how does one get a keylogger or hacked in some way?
    moonlift wrote: »
    yes i do have that..but using that, how does one get a keylogger or hacked in some way?

Well if you have rl friends id they know your log in email, all they have to do is guess your password. known a few people who's 'friends' have done that to them.

Most keyloggers n trojans come from places like kazza and other P2P, xtube and the like and if you buy gold.
    So how do i know when i havent got one? apart from reformating my computer? all my scans came back negative.
    I had a so-called 'friend' who correctly guessed my TheSite password and compromised it. I had to create "Monserrat 2" and sort it out with a mod *blushes*

Anyway Moonlift, if your scans are coming up negative and you've also checked for spyware as well as virii, then there are a few possibilities:

1. A friend has correctly guessed your password, as already mentioned.

2. Someone knew your email login and requested a password reminder from Battle.net.

3. You have played WoW on another computer, that is already compromised.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    3. You have played WoW on another computer, that is already compromised.

Ah yes, have you logged into WOW recently on a different comp ?
    I havent no, always played it on this computer.
    A lot of people tend to use the same password for almost everything and forever, which is understandable because too many passwords are a bugger to remember. I'd suggest doing a bit of 'housekeeping' and reset your passwords more often. Even once a year is better than most people! :)
    Put your passwords in an Excel file, preferably encrypted.