Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Met my online date for the first time...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been in touch with a guy I met on an online dating site. He seemed really nice and was very open on the fact he wasn't just looking for sex and would talk about how opposed to this he is (really good in my opinion). We swapped pics and then started phoning each other and could easily talk for an hour and a half.

Anyway we finally met up yesterday at a restaurant. I dressed up, not over the top, but a nice skirt, leggings and a nice top. He phoned me to check where I was, when I noticed somebody approaching me on their phone wearing a hoody! Anyway we had the meal, the pics he sent me he had dark hair but he clearly was blond and greying and claims to be 27.

On the whole he was a nice person and I enjoyed the date, but I am concerned about his age and why he didn't put any effort into his appearance. Or am I worrying and it's just a man thing???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    From what you have described this sounds like the guy isn't who he claims to be, and I would be very careful.
    Yes, he could be 27 and his hair could already be starting to go grey but I'd say that isn't very common and chances are he's older. As for the colour change of his hair, again he could have dyed it, but why would he have dont that without telling you?
    Please be careful!
    Stop hating on the hoodie. They rock.
    ladylala wrote: »
    On the whole he was a nice person and I enjoyed the date, but I am concerned about his age and why he didn't put any effort into his appearance. Or am I worrying and it's just a man thing???

i think you have to decide whether you are prepared to get involved with someone who lied to you. he might have sent you a different picture because he lacks confidence or is embarassed about his hair or whatever but is that really a good start for a potential friendship or relationship? if he will lie about something as superficial as his hair colour then what else would he lie about? it depends on whether you are prepared to take that chance or not.
    You don't say how old you are ... or whether the pictures (apart from the hair colour) actually looked like the man you met. Sounds, at best, as if he sent you old photos to make himself appear younger. I would be very suspicious of a "blond and greying" man who claims to be 27. Young men with dark hair can sometimes start to grey around the sideburns (women too, my grey streak started with a few white hairs in my teens), but it would be unusual to notice this in a blond man. Also, and I would be interested to know what others think, I find it strange that a man of 27 would wear a hoodie pulled up over his head. (Nothing wrong with hoodies, StrubbleS, but they do tend to be more common with younger folk.) Sounds like he was deliberately trying to disguise his appearance.

I'm sure you have read all the warnings about Internet grooming, so there is no need for me to lecture. However, do think about your meeting. The fact that the man was nice to you is no guarantee that his intentions are "honorable". If he hadn't been nice, he knows you would have just walked away and not wanted to contact him again. You clearly have concerns, otherwise you would not have posted here. My own advice would be to report this guy to the dating site. At the very least, if you haven't done so already, tell someone you trust about your meeting and show them the photos he sent you.