Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my tenancy ended in august do i still ned to give notice to leave?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i had a tenancy for 6 months that ended in august, the landlord has not made a new one or told us that we have to leave and we are still paying the rent.

do i need to still give notice if we no longer have a tenancy

Comments

• Options
    I'm assuming that you had an Assured Shorthold Tenancy? If so then once it had expired (and neither of you gave notice) it became a Periodic Tenancy which will be in force until either of you gives notice - usually one month.
  • Options
    Hey there,

Tenancy agreements can be complicated and it seems like you are in a tricky situation at the moment.

The advice from Mok below is spot on, assuming that you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST). When the fixed term of an AST expires the tenancy becomes a statutory periodic tenancy. This means that it is rolling from week to week or month to month.

To end a periodic tenancy you or the landlord would need to provide Notice to Quit the tenancy. The notice must be in writing and normally you would be required to give about 4 weeks notice, however, check your original tenancy agreement for any details about this. Once the Notice to Quit expires, your tenancy will have ended.

You might like to read Shelter's advice page on Ending a periodic agreement for more information.

Hope this helps.

:)
  • Options
    Like what MoK said, if you agreed to 6 months and you're still paying, then you have probably gone into month-by-month mode. That's what happened to me. I was in a rented room, 6 months to begin with, then went month-by-month, and when I was ready to move out 3 years later, I had to give my landlord 1 month's notice prior to leaving. When you first got your place Krissy, the landlord should have given you a contract written on paper. If you can't find it or the landlord didn't give you one, then I'd drop him a line and have the terms clarified to you.