Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bail Date

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a bail date coming up in a few days, and I'm stressed because it's an unknown.

Basically, a malicious allegation was made against me that I had been seen drugging my son. Sadly, I live in an area where allegations like these are common place, flung around whenever a dispute arises between two neighbours, and usually nothing comes of it...but this particular bit of gossip made it's way to the police, and I was arrested and questioned. It's the word of a woman and her husband against myself. I have no other witness in my defense, but there's no evidence to suggest the woman and her husband are telling the truth. I was accused of drugging him with a chemical I keep in the house for making cosmetics (a hobby of mine) and the claim was that I put it in his food and drink. Whilst I do have said chemical, and a large draw full of others (for the cosmetics) in the house, they were well out of reach of the baby when the police confiscated them. My son has been examined by a paediatrician who has confirmed there's nothing to be concerned about, and social services are involved.

So far, I haven't been charged or convicted, just questioned.

What are the chances of me being charged and the case being taken to the CPS? What are the chances that it will just be put down and left alone without being passed on?

Also, how long am I likely to be at the police station when I go in for my bail date? Am I likely to be questioned again, or held for whatever reason? Or is it just a case of going in, confirming I am there, getting an update and leaving again?

I already know I can't be convicted, so I'm not really worried about that, but it's things like not knowing how long I'll be in there that is bugging me...I need to know how long to book the baby-sitter for, and whether or not my partner and I will be back in time for him to start work, you know?

Any advice or shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When my friend went for his a few weeks ago he was in the police station less than ten minutes, case of yes I'm still here, police said they've not finished yet, here's the new bail date.
    You'll only be charged if they can prove that you have been drugging your son. Drugs remanents can be found via blood/hair/tissue tests etc. If these come back clear, you probably have nothing to worry about.
    They didn't even ask for any sort of tissue/hair/blood samples...they just took the juice bottle he had on the day.

Thanks for the reassurances.
    If all it was was a malicious allegation that cannot be proven and you don't admit to it then you will not be charged as the CPS will state there is no evidence to support charges or taking it any further and the case will be dropped. It is entirely at the discretion of the police how long they keep you and if they re-question you or not, although its unlikely they will re-question you unless any further evidence has come to light. I think you should be more worried about social services though than the police!
    Got the news today...No Further Action. Should get my stuff back soon, too.

I am concerned about Social Services...especially since my social worker is a prick. He's trying to impose rules on me which are ACTUALLY illegal. Thank God his boss isn't as bad as him!
    Einna wrote: »
    I am concerned about Social Services...especially since my social worker is a prick. He's trying to impose rules on me which are ACTUALLY illegal. Thank God his boss isn't as bad as him!

Like?
    Poor wording on my part; the rules are bad, the conduct is illegal...i.e. slanderous.

He hasn't done any assessments on either of us, nor my ex (who I left because he attacked me while I was holding our 6 month old baby) and yet he has contacted my ex (first contact he has ever had with him), called me a danger and my partner a pedophile, and insisted that he should have custody of the baby. He has also insisted that the reason my partner moved around a lot prior to him meeting me (which was the result of a mid-life crisis, a divorce, and a nice settlement...the travelling, not the meeting me bit) must have been for a sinister reason, and that we will start moving around the country against soon to try and keep ourself ahead of the police and allegations. Remember, this is without any visits or assessments being done.

He has also told me that I am not to let my son have any contact whatsoever with any adult who hasn't been assessed by social services and has tried to pressure me into giving the full names and addresses of everyone in my social network.

When we raised our issues with him and told him we would be pursuing a complaint against him, he insisted that it was unnecessary, that all his calls were recorded and his boss knew exactly what he was doing, etc. etc.

So...yeah. Bit of a pillock.
    Hey there,

It seems like you are in a tricky situation at the moment with your bail date coming up.

I don't have specific answers to your questions. I suggest that you seek legal advice as soon as you can. You can contact your local Citizen's Advice Bureau who can offer free, confidential and independent advice. Enter your postcode on the left hand side of their website to find your local office.

Alternatively, you can seek advice from a solicitor. You can find a local solicitor using the Community Legal Advice website. Again enter your postcode and the area of law you need (Criminal) and a list of firms will appear.

If you would like to talk to someone urgently, you can call Community Legal Advice on 0845 345 4 345 for free and confidential legal advice.

Hope this helps.

:)
    He might have recorded the conversations but bear in mind unless you've done the same your complaint is only likely to come down to your word against his.