Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

TV Licence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So im going to uni on saturday, and im bringing my TV, buuuut, do i need a TV licence if i only want to watch DVDs on it? And also, i never knew that you could watch things like BBC programmes live from the net, so does that mean i need a TV licence for my laptop? and if i do, do i need one for each?

And also, may sound a tad naughty, but my boyfriend never had one last year, he kept getting letters saying they are gonna inspect his flat (neither of his flatmates had one aswell) but they never did.....has anyone ever been fined/no of someone who has while at uni accomodation?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not sure about the tv but for your laptop you would need one if you watched it live (probs get away with not having one though) but if you don't watch it live on iplayer or any of the other ones and just watch it on catch up (or whatever it's called) you don't need a tv license.
    So im going to uni on saturday, and im bringing my TV, buuuut, do i need a TV licence if i only want to watch DVDs on it? And also, i never knew that you could watch things like BBC programmes live from the net, so does that mean i need a TV licence for my laptop? and if i do, do i need one for each?

No to all.
    And also, may sound a tad naughty, but my boyfriend never had one last year, he kept getting letters saying they are gonna inspect his flat (neither of his flatmates had one aswell) but they never did.....has anyone ever been fined/no of someone who has while at uni accomodation?

thanks in advance!

I think it's just threats - no-one ever came to my flat last year about it.
    If you have the capability of receiving TV pictures then you have to have a licence. In this example, if your room/house has a TV aerial then you'd need one.
    lies
    right okay thanks guys :)
    Yes you should have one, whether you bother or not is up to you :thumb:
    Hey,

There are many misconceptions about TV Licensing.

The TV License website itself has a lot of useful information.

In summary, you need a TV License if you are going to watch live TV programmes. For example on a television, on your computer or even on your mobile.

You don't need a separate license for each one.

The TV License website has a specific section for students which you might find useful.

As for not paying the TV License, as long as you understand the consequences for not paying, the decision is yours. The Citizen's Advice Bureau have a really good explanation of what happens if you don't pay the TV License.

Hope this helps.

:)
    I have a blu-ray drive on my computer to play my films and I don't have to pay a license for that. I have very occasionally watched BBC iPlayer but nothing broadcasted live, so I think I'm okay there aren't I?

TV licensing guys did pay me a visit one day last year, saw no telly but they did see a satellite dish fitted outside on one of my walls. However, the wall socket that corresponded to the dish had a big armchair blocking it from view. I moved the chair to show them where the wall point was and it was hopefully a clear enough indication that I didn't intend to use it. I then told the guys that the dish was already there when I moved into this house (which was the truth).