Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Buying a 35 mm SLR?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello :wave:

I've been looking into buying a film SLR camera as inexpensively as possible. It'd have to be suitable for a beginner, and ideally would cost under 5000 rupees (approximately 70 pounds). So far I think the best bets would be either a Penax Spotmatic or a Pentax K 1000--can anyone help me choose between the two, or suggest another model?

It would be great if the lenses it uses would be mountable on digital SLRs of the same brand as well, so if I gather the funds to buy a digital one, I can use the same lenses.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tbh its not worth buying film any more unless your a film fanatic, I would keep your money until you can get a digital SLR like the Cannon D-400 (fanastic camera body)
    I am a bit of a film fanatic so I'm not even sure I want a digital SLR, just keeping my options open :)
    fair enough, i'm not to sure on film cameras tbh, but I'm pretty sure that you'd have to have some sort of an adapter for film lenses on to a digital body
    Good choice.
    I have a Canon EOS 3000N.
    It hasn't let me down.
    I think it's like, £60 now or thereabouts.
    curly_boy wrote: »
    fair enough, i'm not to sure on film cameras tbh, but I'm pretty sure that you'd have to have some sort of an adapter for film lenses on to a digital body

Not generally. For example Canon EF lenses fit the newer digital models as well as fitting on older film models too.
    for some certainly, but in my experience its always been a bit of a dodgy fit...though that just may be my mistreated lenses
    I think especially with the major manufacturers you'd find that the "film" lenses would fit just fine, espceially so long as they weren't for a really old film camera. The reason being that the manufacturers would have been keen to keep the folk who had invested in their systems loyal to the brand, and forcing them to buy a whole new set of lenses to switch to digital would make zero sense.

So I guess the key is just to do your research before buying.
    Thanks Mist, I've done just that and decided to get a pentax spotmatic :)
    Lenses that fit Pentax K series cameras definitely fit both film and digi versions, cause I have a mega old Pentax zoom lens that fits perfectly on my K100D :yes:

I think I'm a little late to this party, though!